ESL ESL - London Broncos - New arrivals, departures, gossip

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Hmmm. If he's so good that Saints are getting rid of him, I'm not holding my breath...

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
London Broncos won their first match of the season at the 24th attempt as Challenge Cup finalists Leeds Rhinos suffered a shock defeat at The Hive.

London Broncos (8) 40
Tries:
Atkins, Keyes 3, Dixon, McMeeken, Moore Goals: Drinkwater 6
Leeds Rhinos (24) 36
Tries:
Watkins, Walters, Sutcliffe 2, Achurch 2, Hardaker Goals: Hardaker, Sutcliffe 3

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The Broncos were 22 points behind early in the second half, but fought back to claim their first win in 11 months.

Half-back Joe Keyes scored three of their seven tries, while winger Kieran Dixon marked his return from a long-term knee injury with one of his own.

Leeds missed the chance to move above Wigan Warriors into second position.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Reading that made me check the BBC website to see how strong a side Leeds put out. Fairly strong, but no McGuire, Sinfield, or Burrow.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
London Broncos owner David Hughes says the club's new-look squad are capable of securing an immediate return to Super League in 2015.
The Broncos were relegated from the top flight in 2014 after winning just one game all season.
"This squad we have assembled is better than the Super League one we had last year," Hughes said.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-league/30549783

The Broncos will have to finish in the top four in the Championship to have a chance of returning to Super League.

Should they achieve that initial goal, they would then enter the Super 8s qualifiers, where a top-three finish in a mini-league or a victory in a 4th v 5th placed play-off place, will see the Londoners return to the top flight.
"I don't underestimate Bradford or Leigh in the Championship," Hughes said.
"I think the three full-time clubs are probably favourites. We have to be better than them and knock over a Super League team [in the Super 8s]," he added.
"I think we can do it. My ambition is to get back in Super League and be there for the next 10 years."

BBC

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
Moto would be able to give us a better heads up on this one but from my reading on it London is starting to produce some quality youngsters who are coming through the Broncos and semi-pro ranks with the likes of the Scholars and Sharks. If the RFL have a brain cell between them they'll work hard to get London back into the ESL. Moto, can you add to this?

Reactions: S J

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
London have produced some good youngsters; two examples are Wigan's Tony Clubb and Dan Sarginson, who performed so well for England in the Four Nations. Plus Louis MacCarthy-Scarsbrook at Leeds, among others. What they haven't managed to do is find a decent audience. And the large Australian community in London (not as large as it was, but there's still a lot of Aussies there) doesn't seem to have helped. A suitable venue (and of course, a reasonably successful side) seems to be the main stumbling block.

Also, I've noticed that, despite league being more popular in Oz than union, whenever I've seen the Kangaroos in England, Kangaroos shirts in the crowd (and SoO ones) have always been well outnumbered by Wallabies ones. Whether that means that the kind of Aussies who come to Europe are disproportionately likely to be union fans (wealthier? more middle-class?), I don't know.

Either way, London will have to rely on their own efforts on the pitch to get back into Superleague. And quite right too, in my view. Having gone back to a P/R system (which I support), we need to leave it now for a few years and not rush to change things again. London don't 'deserve' a place in Superleague any more than Leigh, Halifax, etc etc.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
St George Illawarra prop Mark Ioane has been signed by the London Broncos for the 2016 season.

Ioane, 24, played five games for the Dragons after joining them mid-season from the Gold Coast Titans.

Interesting move. Frees up some more money ... ;)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Catalans Dragons (8) 12
Tries: Yaha 3
London Broncos (12) 30
Tries: Abdull, Williams 2, Kear, Dixon Goals: Dixon 5

Bottom side London Broncos made it back-to-back Super League victories with a superb win over Catalans Dragons in Perpignan. Fouad Yaha scored a hat-trick for the French hosts but they were unable to convert early second-half pressure. Broncos led 12-8 at the break, Jordan Abdull and Rhys Williams going over.

Sounds like SOO time here !

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Hooker Eloi Pelissier has signed a two-year contract extension with London Broncos which will expire at the end of the 2021 season. The France international, 28, helped the Broncos win promotion to Super League last season and has one try in 14 appearances so far this term.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Catalans Dragons (0) 4
Try: Wiliame
London Broncos (8) 17
Tries: Dixon, Walker Goals: Dixon 4 Drop goal: Lamb

London Broncos cranked up the pressure in the relegation battle a notch as they shocked Catalans Dragons in Perpignan.
Broncos remain bottom, but their ninth win of the season lifted them level on 18 points with three clubs - Hull KR and Wakefield, who meet on Sunday, and Huddersfield, who host Castleford.
Alex Walker and Kieran Dixon, who also kicked four goals, got Broncos' tries.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Hull Kingston Rovers (6) 16
Tries: Dagger, Atkin, McGuire Goals: Shaw 2
London Broncos (14) 20
Tries: Gee, Lamb, Pitts Goals: Dixon 4

London Broncos won a breathtaking contest as they came from behind to beat Hull KR at Craven Park and take the Super League relegation battle to the final day of the season.
Broncos led 12-0 early on with tries from Matt Gee and Brock Lamb.
Rovers bounced back to lead 16-14 through scores from William Dagger, Chris Atkin and Danny McGuire.
But skipper Jay Pitts scored in the 77th minute, and Kieran Dixon landed his fourth kick to seal the win.
Broncos, promoted back to Super League a year ago, were within three minutes of being relegated. But they now carry the season on to next weekend with all four bottom clubs locked on 20 points.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Wakefield Trinity (8) 19
Tries: Hampshire 2, Lyne Goals: Brough 3 Drop-goal: Brough
London Broncos (0) 10
Tries: Walker, Lamb Goals: Dixon

London Broncos suffered relegation from Super League for the second time in five years as they were beaten by rivals Wakefield Trinity at Belle Vue.
Danny Brough's early penalty followed by two converted tries from Ryan Hampshire either side of the break gave Trinity a 14-0 lead.
Reece Lyne then added another try, followed by Brough's drop-goal.
Alex Walker pulled a try back late on before Brock Lamb scored with the final play but Broncos still go down.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
London Broncos head coach Danny Ward has signed a new two-year contract to keep him with the club until the end of the 2021 season.

The Yorkshireman, 39, took charge in 2018 and led them to promotion to Super League in his first season.

However, they were relegated back to the Championship after finishing bottom of the top flight this term.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
London Broncos hooker James Cunningham has been cleared of a racial abuse charge after a tribunal ruled there was "not enough evidence to prove guilt".

The allegation was reported in London's win over Hull KR on 6 September. Rovers' Rob Mulhern made a complaint on behalf of team-mate Mose Masoe.

Cunningham pleaded not guilty and was cleared after the investigators report and submissions were considered.

------------

Does this mean - there was too much doubt ... ?