Rugby League ESL Challenge Cup - News and Views

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Super League leaders St Helens enjoyed a third victory of the season against Warrington as they won their Challenge Cup final dress rehearsal.

Hope this doesn't mean a poor CC final ? But - we all know the 3 losses - one victory scenario.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
The Duke of Sussex will be chief guest at the 2019 Challenge Cup final between Warrington Wolves and St Helens at Wembley on Saturday, 24 August. He succeeded the Queen as patron of the Rugby Football League in 2016. Simon Johnson, interim chair of the RFL, said: "The Challenge Cup final is established as a special and historic day in the British sporting calendar.

"We hope His Royal Highness will enjoy seeing the two current best teams at rugby league's showpiece event." St Helens and Warrington are the top two teams in the Super League table, with Saints already confirmed as League Leaders' Shield winners.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex

Prince Harry has been patron of the Rugby Football League since December 2016

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Spare a thought for Jack Hughes, who, on the cusp of Warrington Wolves' Wembley return in Saturday's Challenge Cup final, has been recovering from a ruptured testicle earlier this month.

Hughes told BBC Sport: "(The pain) is up there. It's top of the Richter scale. "That initial five minutes of getting the knee (in the groin) was pretty painful. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. "I genuinely couldn't get off the floor for five minutes, I just needed that time to myself. "It settled down but then I came out for the second half and the swelling started coming out. The more swelling, the more I struggled.

"I had to get off and get myself checked, and within a couple of hours I was in surgery. Gladly the surgeon did a good job and I've still got the two testicles intact."

@stanleyg

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Spare a thought for Jack Hughes, who, on the cusp of Warrington Wolves' Wembley return in Saturday's Challenge Cup final, has been recovering from a ruptured testicle earlier this month.

Hughes told BBC Sport: "(The pain) is up there. It's top of the Richter scale. "That initial five minutes of getting the knee (in the groin) was pretty painful. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. "I genuinely couldn't get off the floor for five minutes, I just needed that time to myself. "It settled down but then I came out for the second half and the swelling started coming out. The more swelling, the more I struggled.

"I had to get off and get myself checked, and within a couple of hours I was in surgery. Gladly the surgeon did a good job and I've still got the two testicles intact."

@stanleyg
Nuts.......that's gotta hurt

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
St Helens (0) 4
Try: Fages
Warrington Wolves (12) 18
Tries: Philbin, Murdoch-Masila, Clark Goals: Ratchford 2, Patton

Warrington were involved in a Wembley upset for the second year running as they held off St Helens to win the Challenge Cup for the ninth time.

A year on from being stunned by Catalans Dragons, this time Wire were the victors on a blisteringly hot day as they shocked runaway Super League leaders St Helens.

After two controversially disallowed Saints tries, Warrington did the main damage with two tries in seven minutes from Joe Philbin and Ben Murdoch-Masila - both
converted by Stefan Ratchford.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
St Helens: Coote; Makinson, Naiqama, Percival, Grace; Lomax, Fages; Walmsley, Roby, Thompson, Taia, Peyroux, Knowles.
Interchanges: Paulo, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Amor, Ashworth.

Warrington Wolves: Ratchford; Lineham, Goodwin, King, Charnley; Currie, Patton; Hill, D Clark, Cooper, Murdoch-Masila, Hughes, J Clark.
Interchanges: Akauola, Philbin, Davis, Mamo.

Referee: Robert Hicks.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
AB Sundecks 1895 Cup
Widnes Vikings (18) 18
Tries: Hansen, Dean, Gilmore Goals: Owens 3
Sheffield Eagles (12) 36
Tries: Brown 3, Thackeray, Farrell, Makelim Goals: Walker 6

Sheffield Eagles twice came from behind to beat Widnes Vikings at Wembley and win the inaugural 1895 Cup.

Seven-time Challenge Cup victors Widnes led 18-12 at half-time after letting an early 12-0 lead slip.

But Sheffield, shock Challenge Cup winners here against Wigan in 1998, this time followed the form book, beating a Vikings side six places below them in the
Championship table.

Aaron Brown scored two second-half tries to complete his decisive treble.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Saints start off like a house on fire, but bottle it at the business end of the season.

Sound familiar?

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Srsly, the early no-try decision was very poor indeed. But that said, you can't drop the ball or give it away as many times as Saints did and expect to win a game. As a contest between the coaches, definitely a victory for Price.

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Srsly, the early no-try decision was very poor indeed. But that said, you can't drop the ball or give it away as many times as Saints did and expect to win a game. As a contest between the coaches, definitely a victory for Price.
True - errors and injury can kill any side. Well done by Warrington.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Warrington were involved in a Wembley upset for the second year running as they held off St Helens to win the Challenge Cup for the ninth time.

A year on from being stunned by Catalans Dragons, this time Wire were the victors on a blisteringly hot day as they shocked runaway Super League leaders St Helens.

After two controversially disallowed Saints tries, Warrington did the main damage with two tries in seven minutes from Joe Philbin and Ben Murdoch-Masila - both converted by Stefan Ratchford.

Theo Fages pulled a try back for Saints on 57 minutes but Lachlan Coote missed the conversion, leaving Justin Holbrook's side crucially still needing to score twice.

And the fired-up Wolves duly wrapped up a deserved victory on 73 minutes when hooker Daryl Clark muscled his way over to cement his award of the Lance Todd Trophy as man of the match.