ESL ESL and UK: Rumours and Prophecies !

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Yes, yes, I know - its still 2015 - but the GF is over - I count this as the end of 2015 SL.

So - all news and views here please.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
England coach Steve McNamara has named seven uncapped players in his squad for the International Series against France and New Zealand.

Among them are Super League's top try-scorer - Jermaine McGillvary of Huddersfield - and young player of the year - Wigan's George Williams.

The 24-man squad will be captained by Wigan's Sean O'Loughlin.

"We have a tremendous challenge against the best rugby league nation in the world," said McNamara.

Among the other uncapped players are Williams's Wigan team-mates John Bateman and Joe Burgess, Castleford Tigers half-back Luke Gale and NRL-based forward Mike Cooper, who toured with the national side last year but is yet to be capped.

St Helens hooker James Roby, Huddersfield centre Leroy Cudjoe and Warrington's Ben Westwood all return after missing out 12 months ago through injury.

Six players - South Sydney Rabbitohs' George Burgess, St Helens' Alex Walmsley, Stevie Ward of Leeds, Brisbane Broncos' Jack Reed, Warrington's Stefan Ratchford and Wigan's Joel Tomkins - have not been considered because of close-season surgery.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
England squad: John Bateman, Joe Burgess, Liam Farrell, Sean O'Loughlin (c), Matty Smith, George Williams (Wigan), Thomas Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Mike Cooper, Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra), Leroy Cudjoe, Brett Ferres, Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants), Ben Currie, Chris Hill, Ben Westwood (Warrington Wolves), Luke Gale (Castleford Tigers), James Graham (Canterbury Bulldogs), Ryan Hall, Zak Hardaker, Kallum Watkins (Leeds Rhinos), Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders), James Roby (St Helens), Sam Tomkins (NZ Warriors), Elliott Whitehead (Catalans Dragons).

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Coming Events:

England start the series against France at Leigh Sports Village on 24 October.

A three-game series against New Zealand starts in Hull on 1 November before games at the Olympic Stadium on 7 November and the DW Stadium in Wigan on 14 November.

The World Club Championships against the NRL Teams should also be a beauty in early 2016.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Super League is delighted to announce the identity of the six clubs from the First Utility Super League and NRL Telstra Premiership who will contest the World Club Series in 2016.

2015 Super League Grand Finalists Leeds Rhinos and Wigan Warriors will be joined by St Helens as the third team to compete in the Series. They will face the NRL minor premiers the Sydney Roosters, Grand Final runners up Brisbane Broncos and NRL champions North Queensland Cowboys.

The World Club Series will be hosted by the First Utility Super League and played over three days from Friday February 19 to Sunday February 21, climaxing in the World Club Challenge to determine the world's best Rugby League club.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Super League's Magic Weekend will return to Newcastle United's St James' Park for the 2016 season on 21-22 May.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Champions Leeds Rhinos will kick-off the 2016 Super League season at home against Warrington on 4 February.

Losing Grand Finalists Wigan entertain Catalans Dragons the following day, when St Helens also host Huddersfield and Salford travel to Hull FC.

The opening weekend is rounded off on Sunday, 7 February when Hull KR host Castleford and Wakefield face Widnes.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Rugby league match official Chris Leatherbarrow has died aged 27.

The circumstances of the St Helens referee's death are unconfirmed, but he is survived by his partner Nicola and daughter Daisy.

Rugby Football League chief Nigel Wood, said: "We are all truly shocked and saddened by the news of Chris Leatherbarrow's untimely death.

"This is a dreadful tragedy and our thoughts and prayers are with Chris's family, friends and colleagues."

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
David Scott has become the first product of Scotland Rugby League's development pathway to win the player of the year award.
The 22-year-old, who can play as a winger or full-back and has joined Batley Bulldogs from Doncaster for the 2016 season, is the 12th winner of the Dave Valentine Award.
It is based on performances in Scotland's 2015 international campaign.
Scotland head coach Steve McCormack said: "Davie was outstanding for us."

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Former Australia coach Wayne Bennett has been offered a role with England by the Rugby Football League.
The 66-year-old Brisbane Broncos boss will speak to RFL officials before deciding whether to accept a position.
Steve McNamara's contract as England coach expired after the 2-1 series win over New Zealand last autumn.

-----

Sounds a tad tough - he only just won against NZ - albeit against a weakened side.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Doesn't necessarily mean the end for McNamara. How much time is WB prepared to commit? Even if this does happen, it may only be in an 'overseeing' role, like Tim Sheens at Salford.

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
How good are the Catalan Dragons going! On a side note they are blessed with depth in stand off and fullback. I can remember watching Gigot when was at the Sharks and saying to a mate at work the Warriors should look at him. I'm a big fan of Morgan Essary but Gigot has a real touch of class about him. And any ESL side would love to have Bosc at stand off as well.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
The Dragons do look much better this season. So far. Escare is great in attack; as a defender, not so much. Gigot looks a decent player. Bosc is slow, slow, slow.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
The Dragons do look much better this season. So far. Escare is great in attack; as a defender, not so much. Gigot looks a decent player. Bosc is slow, slow, slow.
Maybe the Nrl and SL should organise a team swap each season to ply in each others competition. If its not to late SL can have the Stgi Dragons and Catalan can come down under.

Reactions: Northern_Union

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I would fear, though, that getting tanked in Superleague too might be a blow the Dragons might never recover from. At the rate they're scoring tries, they wouldn't frighten Wakefield. :p

Reactions: Northern_Union

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
I would fear, though, that getting tanked in Superleague too might be a blow the Dragons might never recover from. At the rate they're scoring tries, they wouldn't frighten Wakefield. :p
If they upped the penalty points given away by teams on their goal line to 3 points to avoid a try being scored the Dragons could at least get some points in their "for" tally rather just their "against" total.
Seriously though the number of teams that have been giving away 10 metre zone penalties to reset their defence and break up the opposition attack is getting out of hand and the refs should be using the sin bin a lot more for it.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Yeah, I don't disagree. It's not so noticeable SL, but has certainly crept into the NRL more lately. I'm much more in favour of dealing with it by yellow cards, rather than fiddling with penalty values. I don't reckon on this lily-livered talk of 5 minute sin-binning either. If it's worth a march, it's worth ten.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Super League's longest-serving match official Richard Silverwood has called time on his refereeing career.

He was suspended pending an investigation and has not taken charge of a game since Magic Weekend in May.

It was his third suspension, having been stopped from officiating in 2009, and again 2011.

The 40-year-old refereed more than 400 Super League games and the 2013 World Cup final during his 15-year career.

RFL chief operating officer Ralph Rimmer said: "We would like to thank Richard for his contribution as a referee at the sports highest level over the past decade and a half."

Silverwood added: "I have had an outstanding career as a referee. I have no regrets but I am now looking to the next chapter of my career."

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
York City Knights owner John Guildford says he has agreed to sell the club to local businessman Gary Dickenson.