ESL England - Lions, Tests, 4 Nations etc

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Oh, I don't disagree! Lomax, Burgess and Walmesley were decent, Austin tried hard, nobody else emerged with much credit.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
I thought the two games were very well played yesterday...by the Orchids and the Kumuls.
The Dragons coaching staff could learn a few things from them.
Their style of play and technique wasn't necessarily so good BUT their enthusiasm more than made up for any shortcomings (of which there were few).
They chased everything and they all WANTED to tackle and tackle well.
They also offloaded while the forwards both men and women made big inroads intothe Poms when they ran the ball.

The English women put up more effort than the mens team which after Graham went off in the first minute looked leaderless with little idea of how tocarry out a game plan.
Not sure if Graham staying on the field would have made much difference but the Pom halves especially Widdop looked clueless.
I don't even think its Bennetts coaching but the Poms seem to have a mental and talent issue at the moment.

A big Congratulations to the PNG mob as its refreshing to see new teams like the Kumuls and Tonga score some good wins over what would once have been a sure loss.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Obviously where you and I differ, SJ, is in our opinion of whether Graham would have made any impact on the game.My view was that he was no loss, and should not have been in the squad in the first place. I remarked elsewhere that their kicking game wasn't great, but it was still much better than GB's, and crucially, as stanley alludes to, they more than once turned a poor kick into a good one with an enthusiastic chase.

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Obviously where you and I differ, SJ, is in our opinion of whether Graham would have made any impact on the game.My view was that he was no loss, and should not have been in the squad in the first place. I remarked elsewhere that their kicking game wasn't great, but it was still much better than GB's, and crucially, as stanley alludes to, they more than once turned a poor kick into a good one with an enthusiastic chase.
I no great fan of his moto748 moto748 - he gives a lot - really tries - but must be almost at the end of his career.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
PNG Orchids v England Women - Second Test
Papua New Guinea (10) 20
Tries: Humeu, Gwassumum, Kapo, Joe Goals: Kaiat 2
England (6) 16
Tries: Stanley, Rudge, Williams Goals: Stanley 2

A last-minute Shirley Joe try gave Papua New Guinea a first Test win against England Women and salvaged an historic series draw in Port Moresby.

Tara-Jane Stanley's try gave England an early lead, but the hosts hit back through Carol Humeu and Belinda Gwassumum to go 10-6 up at the break.

Humeu was also put on report for allegedly biting England's Emily Rudge.

Roswita Kapo extended that lead, only for Rudge and Naomi Williams tries to restore parity before Joe won it.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Coach Wayne Bennett says Great Britain "underperformed" on their comeback tour, which ended as a 4-0 whitewash with defeat by Papua New Guinea.

The loss followed two defeats by New Zealand and another against Tonga.

Not a successful tour by any means.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
By his own admission, he spends little time in England and watches very few SL games. Does that sound right to you for an international coach?