Rugby League Cronulla Sharks - News and Views

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
stanley>

I understand that Australia is a massive country, but Wollongong to Kogarah is only about 70 km Campbelltown to Balmain about 53 km, Google tells me. Perth is the other side of the country; what ,is the cost of a flight from Sydney to Perth? It's hardly comparable.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I do idly wonder, sometimes, how many Sydney residents have ever been to Perth, or Darwen, say. I guess it would be like me going to Moscow or somewhere, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not that many.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I do idly wonder, sometimes, how many Sydney residents have ever been to Perth, or Darwen, say. I guess it would be like me going to Moscow or somewhere, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's not that many.
I'd say quite a few. The train journey is awesome. Flights are quite cheap. BUT - many do the big drive - across the Nullarbor. Its why you find Aussies always can't understand when English people talk about 50-100 klms as a long drive. We use to regularly do 900 klms in a day.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
I'd say quite a few. The train journey is awesome. Flights are quite cheap. BUT - many do the big drive - across the Nullarbor. Its why you find Aussies always can't understand when English people talk about 50-100 klms as a long drive. We use to regularly do 900 klms in a day.
Yeah, the TV docu on The Ghan was shown here recently, and attracted a lot of interest. 50-100 km is far from being a long journey, but remember that the UK is a crowded island compared to Australia; there are around 60 million of us! So journey times are slow because of heavy traffic. I have done 900 km in a day, once or twice, on a motorbike. Which takes a bit of doing. More than I could manage these days, anyway.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Yeah, the TV docu on The Ghan was shown here recently, and attracted a lot of interest. 50-100 km is far from being a long journey, but remember that the UK is a crowded island compared to Australia; there are around 60 million of us! So journey times are slow because of heavy traffic. I have done 900 km in a day, once or twice, on a motorbike. Which takes a bit of doing. More than I could manage these days, anyway.
Distance and time are relative
Australia is the worlds largest island and smallest continent and about 99% or more live on the coastal fringe.
There just isn't enough money in NRL to make it economical to run teams in Perth or Adelaide due to the distance.
It was tried but sank and even thugby Yawnion closed down their Perth Franchise because population is in the east.

As an aside..
Two american cattlemen ranchers were out on the prairie and one said to the other
"you see those mountains in the far distance?"
His buddy said "yes"
"well my spread was so big" he said " I could ride my horse towards those mountains on my spread and not even get close by sunset if I left early in the morning".
His buddy paused for a moment and finally said
"yup, I had a horse that slow too once"

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Agree with that. But we found driving in the countryside - Wales, Cornwall, Ireland - quite easy. And country England. Not bigger places though - eg Brighton.

Ghan would be fun - but Indian Pacific is also.

@stanleyg talks about distance but we do have NZ in it - and PNG wants in. Perth and SA are not really far by air - SA only half hour difference but Perth times would fit nicely - eg a mid afternoon game - 4pm - would be good for TV on the East Coast.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
A
@stanleyg talks about distance but we do have NZ in it - and PNG wants in. Perth and SA are not really far by air - SA only half hour difference but Perth times would fit nicely - eg a mid afternoon game - 4pm - would be good for TV on the East Coast.
There is a lot of bends in Unzed doubling the distance. :D
Travel to NZ and Oz is actually a lot easier than flying to Perth or even SA and definitely easier than Darwin. It is also per klm cheaper because the routes to NZ is heavily travelled.
Perth is so far "off the beaten track" even our politicians cant seem top get regular flights and resort to using "air government" ghost flights.
Png also to all intents and purposes is just and extension of the east coast and a lot of their players already are in Qld league.
If the country could handle a spread out population of 200 million and the economy to support it a nationwide competition might definitely be viable .
You do even have to wonder how Cricket Australia handles it so maybe they can give the NRL some tips on handling distance...and cost.

ALX22

May 2, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Perth will have a team but when is the big question. Bigger question marks over the selections and competitiveness of their junior rep teams though.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
But surely the NRL has more money than the soccer and the cricket, and the basketball; hasn't it?

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
Very true - they can do it - no risk.
Sure they the NRL could do it.
If they hadn't wasted massive tv rights money on stacking NRL HQ with massively overpaid staff and used the money wisely.
Instead they squandered it under David Smith.

The Sharks are in financial trouble but are duig in at Wooleware tighter than a cattle tick on a dog.
The Dragons had fiscal issues with the steelers part of the merger and it took ages to get a "new" joint owner with some cash
The Tigpies also have fiscal issues.
Finances for the actual footy teams aren't so crash hot with a lot of sides apparently devoting more time and effort to rorting the cap than complying.
We couldn't even run the Crushers or GC seagulls and the Titans have been struggling for a few years to.

As I said before they tried to set up teams in SA & WA but failed not because the teams werent any good but because of financial impacts.

That was the main reason given for the "superleague" war.
Clubs were even sending out surveys (mainly those committed to jumping ship).
The questions were framed so you had to answer in the affirmative if you had any common sense.

The other sporting codes have been in the west and south for years seeing that Melbourne is virtually HQ for those sports.
In Yawnion Western force were given the flick due to costs but the Rebels got a lifeline being closer to the main group of clubs

They problems they have had is spreading up the East coast...
Swans bought and sold a few times and bailed out
Gold coast suns has issues
Soccer in the Hunter has had issues.

You will also find in tough fiscal times with out economy struggling there will be less people and companies with deep pockets willing to reach in and support sport.

But never say Never. They may try again in the future.