Opinion Computers - How they Work - Speeds etc !

Muppet

Staff member
Apr 7, 2013
Any questions about PC hardware, i'm more than happy to help. I have been building gaming PC's for about 20 years and also belong to a few overclocking websites.

Current rig:
Intel I7 6900k 8 core 16 thread Processor
Asus Rampage Black Edition 10 Motherboard
32gb G Skill DDR4 3200 cl14
EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Graphics Card
Corsair 1200 PSU
2x Samsung evo SSD's
Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card
Corsair aio watercooling
LG 65" OLED for my screen

Muppet

Staff member
Apr 7, 2013
It's Fibre connection. Used to do a lot of online gaming, now it's mostly my son. But we have 2 4k TV's stream 4k Netflix, 2 desktop PC's, 3 Laptops, 3 Ipads, 3 Android and 1 Apple phone. Sometimes they are almost all going at the same time. So that certainly makes use of all the bandwidth.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I've got fibre - but 94 is awesome. Does it cost more ?

I have fibre optic to the house. Telstra Velocity. Very good in many ways - not the least if you need to ring you ALWAYS get someone in Australia.

Mine is just considered medium I think.

5 / 32.2 / 1.5

Its fast enough for me though. Unlimited D/L.

Muppet

Staff member
Apr 7, 2013
I think we pay about $119 per month here in NZ. That's unlimited downloads. Cost is high, but considering how much it gets used we do get our money's worth. Also wife works from home at nights, so she needs to login to her work servers.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I think we pay about $119 per month here in NZ. That's unlimited downloads. Cost is high, but considering how much it gets used we do get our money's worth. Also wife works from home at nights, so she needs to login to her work servers.
Mine is part of a bundle - internet, Foxtel, landline and mobile. Landline is free - to anyone - which is good. I have a very cheap mobile - about $5 per month - but my wife's on the bundle - is not so cheap ... :)

My 'net would be about $40 less than you I think. But the total bill includes the Foxtel and mobiles.

We get FTA via the Foxtel box which is good - for copying etc and watching. No need to use TV remotes - just the one. Good to, as with IQ3 Box you can tape up to 3 shows at once. Amazing how they often conflict.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
still waiting for NBN to fix the issue they have with "cable" broadband.
Until it becomes compulsory I am happy with Telstra broadband cable although I have had a few phone calls threatening to shut down my landline if I don't follow "the prompts".