Opinion Computers - How they Work - Speeds etc !

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019
Feb 6, 2018
S J S J my IPAD is working for forums and general internet but when I go onto 7 plus or 10 play apps one of them says not connected to internet and the other says technical issue..... it’s frustrating as I like to catch up on shows on my day off,

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
S J S J my IPAD is working for forums and general internet but when I go onto 7 plus or 10 play apps one of them says not connected to internet and the other says technical issue..... it’s frustrating as I like to catch up on shows on my day off,
So - its OK here ?

Do you do a clean every now and then - delete unwanted things ? Sometimes they can build up.

Also - do you have an "ad-blocker" enabled ? It might be affecting them ?

Also - are you using a good browser - not an old one ? Even with a good one you might have to go over to another one. Give it a try.

I gather you also need the latest "Flash" player installed.

NB: I don't use either so am not an expert - but there's a few ideas ... :)

Reactions: Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019
Feb 6, 2018
So - its OK here ?

Do you do a clean every now and then - delete unwanted things ? Sometimes they can build up.

Also - do you have an "ad-blocker" enabled ? It might be affecting them ?

Also - are you using a good browser - not an old one ? Even with a good one you might have to go over to another one. Give it a try.

I gather you also need the latest "Flash" player installed.

NB: I don't use either so am not an expert - but there's a few ideas ... :)
I’m on IPAD

Southy

Enthusiastic Member
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
I use this ad blocker and I've had no problems.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
This cyber attack is a worry. They don't mention names but it seems to a very specific country.

We all need to be careful and keep our "security' up to date.

I use a good service but there are a few good ones - and not that expensive eg Norton and McAfee are two that come to mind.

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
This cyber attack is a worry. They don't mention names but it seems to a very specific country.

We all need to be careful and keep our "security' up to date.

I use a good service but there are a few good ones - and not that expensive eg Norton and McAfee are two that come to mind.
This was from Jan 2017:

Report: National grid in 'imminent danger' from cyberattack
Reaction from cybersecurity analyst Morgan Wright

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Not sure how - but I seem to have a new Edge. 2 ?

Seems much better - faster. Came with an update.

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
Not sure how - but I seem to have a new Edge. 2 ?

Seems much better - faster. Came with an update.
Yeah I got it too, so it must have been an auto-update if you had the previous Edge. I am still using Chrome though, and update it sometimes.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Yeah I got it too, so it must have been an auto-update if you had the previous Edge. I am still using Chrome though, and update it sometimes.
The only real issue is the "spelling" now - I have to constantly "add" to the dictionary again. Not sure why they would be lost.

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
This is awesome!

Starlink: Why SpaceX is Creating a Global Internet Service
The ambitions of the SpaceX satellite internet service extend far beyond earth.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
when I finished work I tried to opt out of the tech world for something a little less stressful.....BUT it keeps creeping in.
Desptops. lap tops, ipads. ipods etc.

lost count of the number of times we have taken computers to be "fixed".
one with a Terrabyte of memory was really good....except we couldnt connect by wi if.
Our techy fixed it as a card had burnt out.
we lost internet on it again this week and I said bugger it...so we got the missus a new lappy for her family history.

everything seemed straight forward to load but I will state at the outset I hate it without a CD capability to load programming.
norton
email
printer
etc.
well I got us set up with the basic and internet wi fi then it got harder.

I set up our family email and it would send but not receive....I ended up with 3 accounts before I got one to work,,,,happy result.

moved on to Norton
Bugger me I had to "uninstall" a free Mcafee , took ages then had to "transfer a licence off the computer that wont connect to internet.
Bugger me again....I took the licence off the desktop that DOES work
back to the transfer and got it right finally.

On to the printer
its an old printer and I had to go into the HP website , root around for ages and finally got that installed.....(according to the laptop and blue light on the printer.)

Handed over laptop to the missus and hoped for the best.
Next day watching telly and she brings it out and snuggles up close . ( I am thinking the worst and my stress levels rising).
She just wanted her own personal email added. Siggh of relief but I had her do it.

I am now dreading the next approach which will be to have microsoft office added.
No CD player and our "office" is 2010.
In two minds....just buy her a new one and download it OR attach a CD player attachment I found in the cupboard and upload our 2010 off CD.

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
If you have Windows 10 installed, you should have a free antivirus program called Microsoft Defender or Windows Defender.

Last edited: