Opinion Computers - How they Work - Speeds etc !

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Just thought we could do with a thread like this.

If you have a question or don't understand something - ask it here.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Is mine acceptable - I don't really have any idea. It seems to work OK for our needs.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Today:

8 / 32.10 / 1.46

What the hell is PING ms ?

The next time I did it my Ping fell. Is this good or bad ?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
GOOGLE:

A broadband speed nowadays is defined as 25mbps download and 3 mbps upload. A connection around these speeds should satisfy the needs of almost anyone nowadays, provided that it is a good quality connection with little or no interruptions.

ping is method to measure minimum time needed to send smallest possible amount of data and receive response. less than 50ms ping is really good, less than 100ms ping is good to average, 150ms is where you are going to start having problems with games, and above 150 ms ping you may experience lag and such in games.

A broadband speed nowadays is defined as 25mbps download and 3 mbps upload. A connection around these speeds should satisfy the needs of almost anyone nowadays, provided that it is a good quality connection with little or no interruptions.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I use Telstra Velocity - fibre optic. It is good. I rarely have issues.

I have unlimited d/load - which I never use that much - and don't play games.

I get my landline (free), FTA TV, Foxtel, mobiles, I/net - all via my system.

Anyone else got a good provider ?

Southy

WLF "Member of the Year" 2020
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Speed can come in 2 ways, there is the speed of your internet connection and the speed of the processor in your computer, I'm only using ADSL2 atm but I have a solid state processor in my computer.

Reactions: S J

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
Speed can come in 2 ways, there is the speed of your internet connection and the speed of the processor in your computer, I'm only using ADSL2 atm but I have a solid state processor in my computer.
Yeah I have ADSL2+ with TPG, but I think NBN is coming to my area soon. I am quite happy with the speed I have now and it is only $30 per month.

Southy

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Yeah I have ADSL2+ with TPG, but I think NBN is coming to my area soon. I am quite happy with the speed I have now and it is only $30 per month.
Similar to me with TPG but I have internet, home phone line, free calls throughout Aust, free calls to mobiles in Aust and free international calls to most countries for $60.:).this will change slightly with the NBN.

The thing I don't understand is that we always go over our data limit and it doesn't seem to go any slower.........I hope that doesn't change with the NBN.

RADICAL RABBIT

Bonza Member
Feb 6, 2018
The thing I don't understand is that we always go over our data limit and it doesn't seem to go any slower........
If you only use the internet to view webpages then you might not notice much difference since the slower speed is still fairly fast for viewing webpages. You might experience more of a difference when you watch videos on YouTube (or wherever) if the resolution is up high, or if you do gaming.

Last edited:

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
SS meant to be very good.

Southy

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
SS meant to be very good.
Yeah, when I went into the store it was not what I intended to buy, but the young sales guy explained to me that old style processor "spins" and is much slower and he pointed me towards another computer that has the solid state processor, it was on special but it was still double the price of the one that I intended to buy.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Yeah, when I went into the store it was not what I intended to buy, but the young sales guy explained to me that old style processor "spins" and is much slower and he pointed me towards another computer that has the solid state processor, it was on special but it was still double the price of the one that I intended to buy.
Have you checked your speed ?