Opinion Computer - Spam and Scam !

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
This is a thread for anyone to use. Please be careful with it.

The idea is IF you get a spam/scam email you list it here for others to see.

Many emails are obvious - they don't include your name - or have a sensible return address - ie when you hover over the link. BUT - they are getting VERY sophisticated.

As I said - the first way to work it out - they rarely EVER address you by name - unless your name IS your email address. They often use poor grammar.

But they are getting better at it.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I get them from paypal - telling me my account is closed - click the link. They do not address me by name.

I've also got them from Apple, various banks, and many large companies. Again though - if you hover over the return address you'll see something odd about it - ie it might use @apple but there will be something different in it - a series of numbers or words that are out of place.

NEVER NEVER click on it or the link. I NEVER open attachments unless I have asked for them. Even an email from a friend can be "poisoned". Their account could be hacked and emails are sent to all of the "friends" - with an attachment. Hi - open this - you'll really laugh". Only open attachments if you have asked for them.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Today I got an email invoice from "QBCC - Your Tax Invoice Receipt". It looked perfect. But - in the return address was the odd way it was done.

They used a Government name - but put another word first.

It is so easy to think - "yes it looks real". BUT - use your brain. I hadn't taken out any insurance lately.

Did you ask for it - does it ring true - do they use your name - or is it just a general hello ?

Are there any real facts in it - eg your account for .... is due. Not a general statement - but a precise one. Most people tell you WHAT the invoice is for - not just say - "Invoice".

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Its easy to fall for it. I'd done blood tests and got this email advising my "blood tests" were attached. It was addressed to my email - but spelling was odd, and I'd never got results by email before.

It did not address me by my first name - nor really detail anything to do with when/where etc the tests were done.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
So:
  1. If you didn't initiate it;

2. It seems to good to be true;

3. Personal information is sought / or they want you to click on a link;

4. The return address is odd in some way - when you hover over the URL or links;

5. Poor spelling and/or Grammar;

6. Money is sought;

7. Any threats;

8. It appears to be from a Government Agency - but doesn't seem to know your full name;

9. It addresses you using your email address, eg Dear Bob and June Smith (your email is "bobandjunesmith @ gmail.com.au";

10. You are unsure - in any way whatsoever.
Google it - "spam/scam paypal account locked".

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Got a call yesterday.

Ring ring - pick up - silence, sounds of people in the back ground - that empty sound you get before they realise you're there - very Asian/Indian voice starts speaking - "allo" - I am from the do not call register ...

I suggested he do something and he rang off - not sure why.

At least it wasn't "Telstra" this time ...

RRABBIT

Involved Member
Feb 6, 2018
I have had some fantastic luck! A prince of some African nation emailed me and is sending me millions of dollars! All I have to do is send him some personal info so he can send the money to me! :-b

Last edited:

RRABBIT

Involved Member
Feb 6, 2018
I get them from paypal - telling me my account is closed - click the link. They do not address me by name.

I've also got them from Apple, various banks, and many large companies. Again though - if you hover over the return address you'll see something odd about it - ie it might use @apple but there will be something different in it - a series of numbers or words that are out of place.

NEVER NEVER click on it or the link. I NEVER open attachments unless I have asked for them. Even an email from a friend can be "poisoned". Their account could be hacked and emails are sent to all of the "friends" - with an attachment. Hi - open this - you'll really laugh". Only open attachments if you have asked for them.
Yeah I get things like that sometimes.

Attachments

• 1552024703877.png
    1552024703877.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 1

wilco

Knowledgeable Member
Apr 11, 2016
So:

4. The return address is odd in some way - when you hover over the URL or links;

6. Money is sought;

7. Any threats;

8. It appears to be from a Government Agency - but doesn't seem to know your full name;

9. It addresses you using your email address, eg Dear Bob and June Smith (your email is "bobandjunesmith @ gmail.com.au";

Google it - "spam/scam paypal account locked".
I got a email 1 week ago and my mobile and texting - you won 12,000 pound not dollars - bet365 - I cancelled my account about 3 years ago. I just deleted the email then the texting on my mobile.

Reactions: S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I got a email 1 week ago and my mobile and texting - you won 12,000 pound not dollars - bet365 - I cancelled my account about 3 years ago. I just deleted the email then the texting on my mobile.

They always want something. Send $50 to help us send you the Million ... :)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Got a mobile message from NAB - spam. Then an email from "Netflix" about my account. Again spam.

Be careful.

Watch for poor grammar, bad spelling, LACK of personal name, AND any request for personal/bank information.

6. Money is sought;

7. Any threats;

The_Fanatical_Rooster

Well Done Member
Oct 12, 2019
Sydney north
Unfortunately, this sort of thing is happening everywhere, what seems like all the time, and it is only getting worse. I am often getting missed calls on my mobile from 03 (Melbourne) numbers. Of course, I ignore them. We get them at home too. Same as you S J S J, often with nothing, then an accent from someone from the sub-continent (funny how it so often is), stating they are from somewhere dodgy, so we simply hang up. I would love to have a horn or whistle, and bloody well blow their ear drums! That would certainly teach them a lesson.

Reactions: S J

wilco

Knowledgeable Member
Apr 11, 2016
Em likes Facebook but what Facebook is a disgrace more than American Politics. They play with young girls and political parties.