Off Topic Cars/motorsport

Southy

WLF "Member of the Year" 2020
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
I did a mechanics course at the tech many years ago.

But - wouldn't touch my car today. Too complicated. I agree - oil, tyres, basic checks etc can still be done.

Water, air, engine checks etc should be done - many don't do this.
Yeah, if you keep an eye on your fuel economy and it starts to drop then you have a good idea that something may need attention, maybe replace air filter, spark plugs and if that doesn't help then it may be time for a tune-up.

Reactions: S J

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
They plug in under the dash, I haven't got one but that's how they do it, and then you get onto your computer and find out what the code is referring to.
I know.
I also have a "chip" I can plug into that port and it will assess your driving style and then provide the best fuel and performance response to that style .
If you no longer want it you just remove it and the cars original computer settings return

Reactions: Southy

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
Try opel, not chev, the 3.8 V6 was originally Buick, the Gen 3 V8 and onwards was probably from chev.
Holden have been using chevy v8’s since the HK . Opel is a german chev.....again owned by GM. GM had bought Buick into the chev fold years ago .
if you had seen the tv series wth Rock Hudson years ago about the car industry you would know about world models and in both Ford and GM chev all decisions come from Detroit...not australia or germany.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Yeah, if you keep an eye on your fuel economy and it starts to drop then you have a good idea that something may need attention, maybe replace air filter, spark plugs and if that doesn't help then it may be time for a tune-up.

Just watching the tyre pressure can help with fuel economy. Also driving to conditions and not hooning about.

I find with my GPS, HUD and "Cruise Control" I get better economy and rarely any police attention.

Reactions: Southy

Southy

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Just watching the tyre pressure can help with fuel economy. Also driving to conditions and not hooning about.

I find with my GPS, HUD and "Cruise Control" I get better economy and rarely any police attention.
Tyre pressure is a big one, I did a defensive driving course and they said 36psi on the open road not only for fuel economy but safety as well.

Southy

May 20, 2013
Daceyville