Off Topic Cars/motorsport

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
When my 5-year warranty is gone, then I'll look. It's unlimited, though most new cars have that. or 7 years 150,000-180,000. Though got 3 years no service charge and you can take another car. BUT - you have to organize it 2 weeks prior. That's the catch.lol!

Warranties today can be amazing - 5-7 years unlimited. Remember when it was 1 or 3 ?

Southy

WLF "Member of the Year" 2020
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Warranties today can be amazing - 5-7 years unlimited. Remember when it was 1 or 3 ?
I had a 5 year warranty and I ditched it after 3 years, warranties are a pain the neck and expensive when you are capable of servicing the car yourself, they also prevent 4WD enthusiasts from uprading there vehicles.

wilco

Knowledgeable Member
Apr 11, 2016
I had a 5 year warranty and I ditched it after 3 years, warranties are a pain the neck and expensive when you are capable of servicing the car yourself, they also prevent 4WD enthusiasts from uprading there vehicles.
Not Ford.

wilco

Knowledgeable Member
Apr 11, 2016
It doesn't matter what brand, I can do it myself.
Ok, you can a problem with the computer in the 4x4? Ford many 4x4 more I don't like. Selling value later on. I have other attachments which is beneficial if you take care on your vehicle.

Southy

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
Ok, you can a problem with the computer in the 4x4? Ford many 4x4 more I don't like. Selling value later on. I have other attachments which is beneficial if you take care on your vehicle.
Obviously I don't have the equipment to fix some problems but I am talking about servicing not repairs, although I can do some repairs as well.

Reactions: S J

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
Chev isn't holden

Holden is goneski. Ford is still here. ;)
holden has always been owned by General motors thats why the local arm was called GM Holden and has been using Chevy parts in their vehicles for donkeys years especially the motors.
The 5.7litre aluminium block v8 one of their best.

Holden has been designed and approved by GM and Chev vehicle division for many years.
So long in fact since the vt commodore owners have actually replaced the lion badge with the bow tie badging to reflect that.
Holden has just been a chevy in reality and now that is what will be on any of their vehicles sold here as the local production arm has closed down.

Ford?
Like GM it will stay here BUT their production closed before holden and moved to places like Thailand (ranger, territory etc).
GM holden has now copied ford and is producing only over seas including Thailand (colorado etc).

why?
small population base (25 million?),construction costs, labour costs costs, wages too high, power costs too high.....Basically for the amount of new car sales it became uneconomical to continue to build here.
Its basically the same problem as all of our industry be it agricultural or industrial.
Unless a Federal government had legislated a life span for a vehicle before it had to be taken off the road and replaced by a new one the motor building industry in this country was doomed from the 1970's when it became a marketing struggle to sell new cars.
chrysler collapsed, mitsubishi eventually closed its production to.
The last commodore was a chev from germany.

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
Obviously I don't have the equipment to fix some problems but I am talking about servicing not repairs, although I can do some repairs as well.
I think manufacturers started getting to cute for the home mechanic to handle anything but basic servicing or minor repairs.
My 2000 commodore had two computers and the last aussie made had multiple computers running everything so while it was running they were great but one problem and it became a real issue especially with electronic matters.
the best you can do if you own one is plug a diagnostic tool in and get any error codes that may show up.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller

But - when they put the car on the computer - doesn't that tell you if anything's wrong. Mine does a check every time I start it - goes through all these steps and gives them the green light.

Are you saying you do what use to be called a grease and oil ? And a safety check ?

Southy

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
holden has always been owned by General motors thats why the local arm was called GM Holden and has been using Chevy parts in their vehicles for donkeys years especially the motors.
The 5.7litre aluminium block v8 one of their best.

Holden has been designed and approved by GM and Chev vehicle division for many years.
So long in fact since the vt commodore owners have actually replaced the lion badge with the bow tie badging to reflect that.
Holden has just been a chevy in reality and now that is what will be on any of their vehicles sold here as the local production arm has closed down.

Ford?
Like GM it will stay here BUT their production closed before holden and moved to places like Thailand (ranger, territory etc).
GM holden has now copied ford and is producing only over seas including Thailand (colorado etc).

why?
small population base (25 million?),construction costs, labour costs costs, wages too high, power costs too high.....Basically for the amount of new car sales it became uneconomical to continue to build here.
Its basically the same problem as all of our industry be it agricultural or industrial.
Unless a Federal government had legislated a life span for a vehicle before it had to be taken off the road and replaced by a new one the motor building industry in this country was doomed from the 1970's when it became a marketing struggle to sell new cars.
chrysler collapsed, mitsubishi eventually closed its production to.
The last commodore was a chev from germany.
I know that holden was owned by GM, but holden is goneski and it was not chev.

Southy

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
I think manufacturers started getting to cute for the home mechanic to handle anything but basic servicing or minor repairs.
My 2000 commodore had two computers and the last aussie made had multiple computers running everything so while it was running they were great but one problem and it became a real issue especially with electronic matters.
the best you can do if you own one is plug a diagnostic tool in and get any error codes that may show up.
They plug in under the dash, I haven't got one but that's how they do it, and then you get onto your computer and find out what the code is referring to.

Southy

May 20, 2013
Daceyville
But - when they put the car on the computer - doesn't that tell you if anything's wrong. Mine does a check every time I start it - goes through all these steps and gives them the green light.

Are you saying you do what use to be called a grease and oil ? And a safety check ?
When we put our cars in for a service they assume that the person knows nothing about cars and they check, top up and charge us for many things that we can do ourselves such as top-up the washer fluid, in the past I would change my own oil/filter, check/replace my brake pads and do the under bonnet fluid checks/top-ups. They don't want you to know this but engine oil doesn't need to be changed every 12 months, it is purely a kilometer based service, for example if a person has an oil change on his vehicle and then immediately finds that he is posted overseas for 12 months does the oil in his vehicle need to be changed immediately upon his return?........no, the oil is still as new.

Many diesel cars now have 20,000 km oil changes and that's when I'll be changing my oil/filter, and I use fully synthetic oil that I won't get at a service centre.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I did a mechanics course at the tech many years ago.

But - wouldn't touch my car today. Too complicated. I agree - oil, tyres, basic checks etc can still be done.

Water, air, engine checks etc should be done - many don't do this.