Rugby League ANZAC Test - 1 May 2015 - Aust v NZ

TerryGaines

Voider of Warranties
Apr 20, 2014

Martin Taupau of the Kiwis is tackled during the Trans-Tasman Test match between the Australia Kangaroos and the New Zealand Kiwis at Suncorp Stadium on May 3, 2015 in Brisbane, Australia.
(May 2, 2015 - Source: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images AsiaPac)

TerryGaines

Voider of Warranties
Apr 20, 2014

Thomas Leuluai of the Kiwis passes the ball during the Trans-Tasman Test match between the Australia Kangaroos and the New Zealand Kiwis at Suncorp Stadium on May 3, 2015 in Brisbane, Australia.

TerryGaines

Voider of Warranties
Apr 20, 2014

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck of the Kiwis runs with the ball during the Trans-Tasman Test match between the Australia Kangaroos and the New Zealand Kiwis at Suncorp Stadium on May 3, 2015 in Brisbane, Australia.

TerryGaines

Voider of Warranties
Apr 20, 2014

Luke Lewis of Australia is tackled during the Trans-Tasman Test match between the Australia Kangaroos and the New Zealand Kiwis at Suncorp Stadium on May 3, 2015 in Brisbane, Australia.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
A fine win by the Kiwis who played like a cohesive team backing each other up and offloading the ball like the champions they are.
The Aussies on the other hand mostly played like 13 individuals. A lot of ball hogging and not much communication. A few of the Qld guys should be looking for retirement homes to.
When Slater was ruled out Inglis ( who had a shocker) should have been in the centers and Dugan to FB.
Most of the aussies and especially the queenslanders in the side wont be there for the next cup so its time to rebuild and quickly.:bag:

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
A fine win by the Kiwis who played like a cohesive team backing each other up and offloading the ball like the champions they are.
The Aussies on the other hand mostly played like 13 individuals. A lot of ball hogging and not much communication. A few of the Qld guys should be looking for retirement homes to.
When Slater was ruled out Inglis ( who had a shocker) should have been in the centers and Dugan to FB.
Most of the aussies and especially the queenslanders in the side wont be there for the next cup so its time to rebuild and quickly.:bag:
They did everything they could to keep the ball from Duges. He eventually started playing in the middle - did some good tackles but is now hurt. He is not a winger - and should have either been in the centres or at FB - or not in the side !

TerryGaines

Voider of Warranties
Apr 20, 2014
The Aussies are too good not to come back with a hiss and a roar next ANZAC day. Your mob will cook something up.

But if I was thinking of doing a spot of quick surgery on the Roos, I'd take a long look at Tim Sheens. There's a ton of good NRL coaches in Australia.

TerryGaines

Voider of Warranties
Apr 20, 2014
Still buzzed this morning. No better way to kick off the week than a Trans Tasman win in League.
The team could be even stronger with Elijah Taylor and Wantene-Zeleznaik match fit from the Pennies.

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
The team could be even stronger with Elijah Taylor and Wantene-Zeleznaik match fit from the Pennies.
Not forgetting the wrecking ball Jason Taumalolo.

The thing is with Australia, people are calling for young players to be blooded like that will is going to fix things. Reality is none of the younger guys they have are better than the older players that turned out for Australia lastnight.

Reactions: TerryGaines

TerryGaines

Voider of Warranties
Apr 20, 2014
Not forgetting the wrecking ball Jason Taumalolo.
Of course Taumalolo. At 21, he's got a huge career ahead with the Kiwis.

Jason Taumalolo’s Test vision has always been black and white

Kiwi Jason Taumalolo trains for the upcoming Test against Australia. Picture: Glenn Barnes Source: News Corp Australia

HIS parents wanted him to play for Australia, but Jason Taumalolo was leaning towards New Zealand.

His teammates at North Queensland, Matt Scott, James Tamou and Johnathan Thurston, pushed him hard to join them in the Kangaroos’ colours, but Kiwi coach Stephen Kearney kept ringing to remind him of New Zealand’s needs.

Then Australia coach Tim Sheens started texting and calling him with one purpose in mind.

To top it off, Taumalolo was this week named international player of the year for Tonga. He played three Tests for them in last year’s World Cup, as his parents were born there before they moved to New Zealand.

So it’s not hard to see the tug-of-war this young forward was going through and how hard a decision it became. But in the end, the answer was always there.

“In my heart, I always knew it was New Zealand,” said the 110kg, 192cm 20-year-old, who will face Australia for the first time in the Four Nations at Suncorp Stadium tonight. He was 18th man in the 2012 trans-Tasman Test. A lot of it had to do with pressure, so that made it a little bit hard.

“My parents thought Australia had given me the opportunities so I should go for Australia, but my heart lay with New Zealand. I ended up getting my parents’ support, that was the most important thing. I made my decision to play for New Zealand, which was easy in the end because that was my intention all along.”

Still, it took some time for Kearney to rope this Cowboy. “I had a few of the boys (in Townsville) trying to persuade me to play in the green and gold,” Taumalolo said. “I didn’t give anything away when they kept asking me, egging me to play for Queensland in Origin.

“(For) two years on and off they kept at me. Then last year I went to the World Cup with Tonga and it was earlier this year I chose New Zealand. In the back of my head I knew Tim Sheens might call and want me to play for Australia, but I told Stephen Kearney I wasn’t going to change my mind.”

Taumalolo took the opposite path to Tamou. Both were born in New Zealand and came to Australia before they were 13. Taumalolo, who starts at lock tonight, could only ever see black and white.

“It’s just from my early childhood,’’ he said. “There’s no better place than home. I would always watch the rugby boys and want to play for New Zealand some day. Then I started watching league and admired guys like Ruben Wiki and Sonny Bill. I idolised them and wanted to be like them.”

For a player who weighed 100kg by the time he was 15, he was always going to make an impact, but he had a little help along the way. “I’ve learned a lot off Johnno, Matt and James. It’s been a privilege to play alongside them,” he said. “Then I come in here and it’s like being back at the Cowboys with great players around me, like Shaun Johnson, Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Issac Luke. I played Junior Kiwis with Shaun in 2010.”

His good running speed for a big man came from playing outside centre in his junior days in rugby union, but his body was changing by the time he joined Kirwan Bears and Townsville Brothers.

His only regret about making his Kiwis debut tonight is that Thurston, Scott, Tamou are not on the opposing end of Suncorp Stadium. He denies the thought of having to tackle him scared the trio away. “It’s just the toll the season takes,” he said of the injured Cowboys. “They wished me luck, which was nice, but I would have liked to play against them for the first time. It would have been fun.”

The thing is with Australia, people are calling for young players to be blooded like that will is going to fix things. Reality is none of the younger guys they have are better than the older players that turned out for Australia lastnight.
It doesn't bode well for Mal Meninga's team either and re-enforces why Bellamy said he would quit after Smith, Slater and Cronk hang up their boots

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
Well done you Kiwis! Fantastic effort, and well-deserved. Australia looked laboured and uninspired by comparison. Great go-forward in the that first half setting a platform, and halves and backs finished it off well. Manu, SJ, SKD all excellent, and it was nice to see TL playing an active role and looking good. It was then a question of whether NZ could withstand what the Kangaroos were bound to throw at them in the second half. And I don't know know about you guys, but for all their huff and puff, it never looked to me like Australia were ever going to get more than the odd score, and so it proved.

Makes the upcoming Kiwis tour ever more of a mouth-watering contest. Just can't wait to see England take youse guys on in the flesh! I reckon we can put on a better showing than Australia! :p

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
Well done you Kiwis! Fantastic effort, and well-deserved. Australia looked laboured and uninspired by comparison. Great go-forward in the that first half setting a platform, and halves and backs finished it off well. Manu, SJ, SKD all excellent, and it was nice to see TL playing an active role and looking good. It was then a question of whether NZ could withstand what the Kangaroos were bound to throw at them in the second half. And I don't know know about you guys, but for all their huff and puff, it never looked to me like Australia were ever going to get more than the odd score, and so it proved.

Makes the upcoming Kiwis tour ever more of a mouth-watering contest. Just can't wait to see England take youse guys on in the flesh! I reckon we can put on a better showing than Australia! :p
I'm actually really looking forward to the English tour. I was at the test in Dunedin when the Kiwis played England and i thought you guys weren't far off matching us. I think the NZ media and alot of NZ fans are getting way ahead of ourselves if we think all we have to do is touch down in England and the test series is ours. I'm picking that England will win at least 1 test during the Kiwis tour. Can't wait to watch the test at the Olympic stadium as well.

Also i think the French could be more of a threat that most give them credit for. I can't see them beating the Kiwis but i can see them putting up a good display. To my mind the French arn't that far off being a decent test playing nation again. A second ESL team for them is a must in my humble opinion.

Also, RIP Danny Jones. Sad news about the ex Halifax and Wales halfback.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
The thing is with Australia, people are calling for young players to be blooded like that will is going to fix things. Reality is none of the younger guys they have are better than the older players that turned out for Australia last night.
Its not about whether the younger guys are better than the Older guys but whether they have the hunger for a win or not.
The older guys have been around for ages and guys like Parker at 33 wont be there next season so they should be looking at blooding the younger ones rather than hanging onto the old stagers who only seem to lift when they play for Qld. People may say He was in the side for his kicking skills but that's what they had Thurston for.
They also seem to have the singular attitude that they will make the break that wins the game instead of playing as a team which they do in club games or they would end up in reserves..
Sheen has been good as coach but if he takes the fall for it I hope they don't talk Bellamy into the job as he failed miserably at Origin level.

Reactions: Northern_Union

moto748

Very Active Member
Sep 13, 2013
It seems to me that Bellamy would be more of the same problem at international level. It's not so much a case of whether DCE (say) is a better player than JT (he probably isn't, but he's still a very fine footballer); more about the way they choose to play than the players.