Opinion Advice Section

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I'll kick off.

Housing Issue:

As most/some of you know - we've built on the Island in a new development. This brings problems from all directions.

We had 2 vacant blocks either side. But - one side is now building - and doing polished cement floors.

We've had a few dealings - always invite them (new neighbours) in for a beer/drink if they come to see the block.

He's a real "tough" guy. A bit on the short side - and she's ok - albeit a bit trendy. Don't want kids etc etc.

He's quite forthright in what he wants. As we have a common border I had to contact him over the fence - after some prolonged talk he finally paid his half. But he now drop comments about what he will or will not allow.

I'm not worried about him - other than I like to get along and don't want trouble - but I intend either having a "return" to his garage - zero boundary and a gate for my property - which may have to be attached to his garage wall. If not I will have to extend the fence and thus prevent him inspecting the side of his garage wall for termites etc. I get the feeling he feels he will lose a massive amount of land because of this - it will be about 20cms wide by about 4 metres long. Alongside his garage on my side.

I have the same thing on my west side - where my garage is - or will have when someone builds. Its just a fact of life.

I find him a bit abrasive and rather "rude" but Mrs SJ says we should all be nice. I feel we are but get sick of the "tough" comments.

Just interested in thoughts and possible ways to handle the matter. I'm planning on just saying there are two options - 1) link to his garage and I'll keep an eye on the garage wall - or 2) extend fence and he can do whatever he likes - he won't be able to really see the bottom of the garage all along. He is the sort of guy who might go for 2 ... :)

He stated he'll come in our place and check his wall when he needs to. Not withstanding the fact I'll have a lock on the gate.

Now - he may be just the sort of guy who has no idea his comments annoy people - but the idea of him saying he'll enter my property to check his garage when he likes started to rile me. I let it go - but I plan to be ready before the event - not after.

Open for discussion ... :)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
His other comment is to remove all the trees behind his block so his view is better - of the golf course. We love the trees - not just for their beauty but as they give us privacy from the golf course. You can still see it perfectly. I have a feeling he's going to try and get our trees removed too.

TerryGaines

Voider of Warranties
Apr 20, 2014
Bugger him. Keep your trees mate. It's your place not his.
Damn straight.

He's not too far removed from one of those retards who'll move next to the Airport and then squawk all the time about aircraft noise.

Your trees were there first mate.

And ....he can step on to your property any time you invite him and at no other point. :)

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Bribie last night:

We have so much smoke across us at the moment. Probably safe - but you hope for rain.