Opinion A request regarding BBC and other links

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Guys, a thought. It seems to me that there are more and more threads which are simply links to other media, whether it's 'Stuff', the BBC, or similar. Like, I guess, a lot of posters, I set my default screen to Latest Posts so that I see everything. Now I come to this forum to read other posters' opinions, not wade through pages of links. Is it possible they could be put in their own folder? In the case of the BBC links in particular, I almost certainly know about the story, and I very much doubt that many of you guys are interested in the fact that Salford Red Devils, say, have extended the contract of some guy you've never heard of!

These links have always been there, but it seems to me their numbers have increased a lot this year. In fact, if anything, it's ironic, because the BBC given so little coverage of league really, but you guys might get the (very mistaken) impression that they talk of little else!

Does anyone else agree with me?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Not sure I totally get your point Moto - but BBC is one of the many "Engines" that place material on the site - sort of "News Engines" - referred to as "Auto Posters". They put the stuff out and it's just posted in the "Home" area. Its a bit like a printer that just keeps putting out the latest releases. They are links we do not control.

The General Forums - in the "Forums" area - are posts/threads that Members make up. They also may include "news" from media sites etc - but they are more opinion pieces from members. In the "Forum" section we do have Threads for all teams and we can have some duplication - eg like the Salford example you give. I actually like the separate threads as I lose track of things when they are on such a general thread as "BBC". I also like to know what Aussies are doing OS - and they may well be playing for Salford ... :)

I must say I tend to read the "Forum" area more than the "Home" area.

We would prefer people to add opinion to any post they make - and not just quote from the papers/media sites. The RLEF thread is a little different as it is a one off - just for Europe.

BUT - if you are talking about the "Home" forum - and the posts by "News Engines/Auto Posters" then this will continue. They are linked to us and provide any and all news that pops up in their domain. BUT - they are not controlled by us. Its just an information service.

Have I missed the point - or does that relate to your comment ?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
I might say my screen is set to "Forums" - and this shows the latest 10 posts and any Threads/Forums I have not read.

I look in the "Home" section - but it is not my main area of interest.

stanleyg

Apr 17, 2013
No issues with the function of the website from my end .....although Bazza is a possible purveyor of spam:bag::eek::rolleyes:;), naaaahh maybe not:spam:

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
No issues with the function of the website from my end .....although Bazza is a possible purveyor of spam:bag::eek::rolleyes:;), naaaahh maybe not:spam:
Oh - are we talking spam - thought we'd wiped it out.

I'm not seeing any now - not for a while - the system works fairly well.