Rugby League 2022 State Of Origin 2

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019/20/21
Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
Just a slow day - wandered about. Had dinner at the marina - The Lucky Shag !

Had a good look at Elizabeth Quay and the City - lovely Malls. A lot of walking.

Off to the Quokkas today - Rottnest Island. Fast ferry so missing Fremantle - we've been there though.

The wine tomorrow. Only a day tour but should be fun.
Sounds nice what was your meal last night?

Reactions: S J

wilco

Knowledgeable Member
Apr 11, 2016
Where's addo-carr Freddy - you're still taking drugs mate? You're a nut bag. They know when cleary is kicking for Tupou. You m.......n! He grapped one bomb then he passed it forward to the captain. Freddy it's more defence, and you played many states of Origin games. I....T freddy

callmack1

Knowledgeable Member
Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
'That was a pretty bad situation' - Blues great warns Freddy not to make same mistake twice: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...l/news-story/3fba801cdbc5708dd0803ad5da94de29

Origin Daily: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/3cafd0830681c27ee666017e1a8711dc

Andrew Johns identifies the 'masterstroke' that could unlock NSW Blues: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/state-...erstroke/6a47536b-d189-4639-b298-719f620f8055

Brad Fittler's honest conversation with Damien Cook, Api Koroisau: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/state-...s-change/6d792aef-b57c-41da-a784-533de3593a4c

Latrell prepared to rescue Blues in Origin finale: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/state-...ohs-news/f8266d10-453d-4ffb-8d83-fcfa9eba3477

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
The "big" one might be on sunday but last night was some great footy.
The U/19's mens and womens origin was on at Leichardt.

Great wins by NSW in both games and a length of the field try from the in goal by NSW in the ladies match.

The womens Origin is on tonight and should be a must watch going by last nights efforts.

Reactions: Rabbits 21 and S J

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller

Great wins by NSW in both games and a length of the field try from the in goal by NSW in the ladies match.

The womens Origin is on tonight and should be a must watch going by last nights efforts.

Good to hear.

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
BLUES HOPE COOK WILL ENJOY API DAYS TOO
Dan Walsh

NSW’s brains trust say the days of Damien Cook – or any other hooker – playing 80 minutes in the Origin arena have come to an end as South Sydney move to keep the benched No.9 off the open market.

Cook will come off the bench for the first time in his 13-game Origin career, and the first time since 2017 at any level, as the Blues opt for Api Koroisau to start in game two on Sunday night. Queensland’s welldocumented ruck dominance in the series opener has resulted in Koroisau’s sleight of hand being preferred in the opening exchanges to Cook’s dynamic running game. Cook insists ‘‘ ego does not come into it at all’’ , but acknowledged his pride in regularly playing 80 minutes as he did in Origin I, making 54 tackles without a miss and running for 89 metres.

Blues assistant coach and legendary rake Danny Buderus says the ever-increasing pace of Origin contests could well make carrying two hookers a necessity, a scenario NSW have largely resisted in lieu of a bench utility during Brad Fittler’s tenure.

‘‘ The modern game, it’s just getting so quick,’’ Buderus told the Herald. ‘‘ I think for hookers to be at their best, parts of their game might have to be shared or given around to the team a bit more. There’s just so much going on in 80 minutes of Origin for a hooker. Two hookers could well be the new normal, to make sure you’re always on top of that ruck speed and able to take advantage of anything you see. Api and Cookie have got such different attributes and you see it with Queensland, too: Ben Hunt and Harry Grant worked really well [in game one] and they ran off the back of them.’’

Buderus ruled out Koroisau spending time at lock when Cook enters the fray, with limited interchanges potentially ending Koroisau’s night as early as the 30-minute mark.

‘‘ It is different for me; you do prep yourself differently,’’ Cook said. ‘‘ You’ve got to be ready to go at any time when you’re on the bench and then get yourself up to game speed immediately so when you’re out there you’re not overplaying your hand or caught out. It’s an opportunity. There’s a chance to exploit some tired defenders and bring my strengths out a bit more, keep moving that ruck forward and go from there.’’

News of Cook’s shift to the bench came on Monday as his management was meeting with Rabbitohs chief executive Blake Solly, kicking off extension talks beyond his current deal. Cook is contracted to Souths until the end of 2023 and the club has no intention of letting him go to market on November 1, making it clear the 30-year-old remains in their long-term roster planning.

Copyright © 2022 The Sydney Morning Herald

Reactions: callmack1

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018

Yes the standard of U19’s is now much higher than 5-10 years ago.

Reactions: stanleyg

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
That’s unlike you lol getting up at the crack of dawn since when does that happen 😂😂

Up earlier today - Margaret River, wineries and Leeuwin Lighthouse. Long day- up before dawn and home late.

Explore the City tomorrow.

Loads of banners - Perth really getting into SOO.

• Haha
Reactions: Rabbits 21

callmack1

Knowledgeable Member
Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
Origin Daily: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/3cafd0830681c27ee666017e1a8711dc

Confronting question Fittler must ask his troops: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/state-...xclusive/8e7dfb04-c303-48e4-a839-2643c7dedabf

From Sporting News,

Billy Slater opens up about his early experiences as the coach of Queensland

Billy Slater has revealed he is relishing the opportunity to represent Queensland again in a different capacity, after taking over the hot seat as the Maroons coach.

“To be honest I never dreamt of this [to be the coach]. I dreamt of playing, that’s for sure,” Slater said on SEN’s Captain’s Run.

Billy Slater was surprised to be offered the Maroons role

“When this position got put in front of me, I sort of didn’t really know how to react. But at the end of the day, this is important to us and that’s why we’re here," he said.

“Cam Smith, Johnathan [Thurston]- everyone is in this environment because we care about this team.

“This team means a whole heap to our people. It’s an inspiration to our state. And we feel that we can contribute.

“I’m really enjoying it. I love wearing the Maroons colour and representing our state. It’s a different way of doing it, but I’m really enjoying it at the moment,” he said.

Co-host Smith was quick to sing the praises of the new coach, claiming that despite him never having previously had aspirations to be in the top job, the role is a natural fit for Slater.

“When he said he didn’t really think about it- he coached. He pretty much coached in some capacity for the last ten years of his career as a player,” Smith said.

“At all levels, not just [Melbourne] Storm. He did it for Queensland and Australia.

“When you speak to a guy who has moved on like Nicho Hynes. The influence Billy had… not just in his fullback play but all things in and around being a professional rugby league player.

“Your preparation, your education of the game, looking at the opposition and understanding what you’re going to see and face.

“He’s just been fantastic for so many guys coming up through those systems,” Smith added.

Is Slater already turning into his mentor, Craig Bellamy?

Slater claimed he still wasn’t entirely sure what type of coach he will be in the future. However, he identified his love for player development as a key part of his philosophy going forward.

“With youth you get enthusiasm and energy. And the other thing is a real willingness to learn and develop their game, so I’ve really enjoyed that part of it. I’m trying to help young guys build and educate themselves in areas around the footy field,” Slater said.

“I want to allow them to create their own footy and what that looks like. We help shape that at training and in meetings, but at the end of the day we’ve got some really good football minds who are out there on the field.”

Despite claiming a victory over NSW, with a hard-fought 16-10 win on enemy soil, the rookie coach claimed it wasn’t exactly smooth sailing.

“Even in the final week of my career there were things I was looking to improve on…There was definitely things in Game I that I’ve tried to adjust.

“I’m sure I’m going to make mistakes in Game II, but I’m always assessing myself. I only look at it as a mistake if I don’t learn from it.”

After having played all of his club career under one coach at Melbourne, Slater conceded that Craig Bellamy's notoriously intense approach may have rubbed off on him.

“There were a couple of times in the box where I thought ‘Jesus, I’m starting to creep down that lane. Come on Bill, hold yourself together,” he laughed.

Origin is such an emotional game, you’ve just got to let it take you…I did get a little bit frustrated at times, but at the end of the day, it’s who we are.”

Identifying where Origin II will be won and lost

Slater underlined how the attitude his team carried into the series opener will need to be replicated in Perth, if they are to go on and claim the shield.

“We’ve got to match their desperation. We’ve got to think that this is do-or-die for us as well.

“State of Origin is all about that desperation. It’s really important that we go over there with that mindset that there is no tomorrow.”

With the series on the line at Optus Stadium, Brad Fittler has made a host of changes to his squad in the pursuit of levelling the scores.

One of the major changes he made was shifting Damien Cook to the bench, in favour of starting Penrith hooker Api Koroisau.

It is the alteration that has caught Slater’s eye the most in the week leading up to their clash.

“Api is a really crafty No.9. And it’s a different look to when Damien Cook is there,” Slater said.

“And we’re still going to have to face Cook at some stage and his speed out of dummy half.

“We’re going to have to be really on our game with Api out of dummy half with his trickery and combinations with Isaah Yeo and Nathan Cleary. That’s been a real focus for us going into this game.”

stanleyg

Bonza Member
Apr 17, 2013
Hard fought game in the womens origin match.
In the end a well deserved win by NSW despite some iffy calls by the ref and bunker in favour of Qld.

Steph Hancock seems almost ageless in the forwards for Qld while Upton was outshone at FB by nsw Emma Tonegato.
I think the FOX sports tried to raise Upton's performance by calling she made some great tackles which she was not even in.
Tonegato dropped one ball otherwise her performance was nearly floorless.
Clydesdale for NSW dropped two high balls one of which resulted in a try to Qld.
Isabelle Kelly earnt her player of the match award.

Reactions: Rabbits 21

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Up earlier today - Margaret River, wineries and Leeuwin Lighthouse. Long day- up before dawn and home late.

Explore the City tomorrow.

Loads of banners - Perth really getting into SOO.

Tour of the City today.

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
Game Day

Ground lit up last night - flashing lights. Banners everywhere here. All the people we speak to know its on.

Blues are staying in our hotel - we see them in the lifts.

We'll walk over about 4-ish.