Rugby League 2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

callmack1

Knowledgeable Member
Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
From Fox Sports,

SOUTHS’ CHEEKY DIG AT ROOSTERS

The South Sydney Rabbitohs couldn’t resist taking a tongue-in-cheek jab at Venues NSW chairman Tony Shepherd about openly supporting the Sydney Roosters at the launch event of the new Allianz Stadium.

Now that the Roosters are out of the finals the Bunnies have sent Venues NSW a South Sydney supporters pack containing a scarf and a jumper to cheer for the Bunnies for the remainder of September.

Shepherd caught plenty of Souths powerbrokers off guard when he signed off his opening night speech at Allianz Stadium with: “Go the Roosters”.

The Venues NSW chairman was also proudly sporting a Roosters scarf at the round 25 event when the Tricolours upstaged the Bunnies.

Reactions: Southy

Satts1970

May 8, 2022
It's a disgrace that tax payers are paying for these grounds and they are being claimed by clubs. The same is happening out here with Penrith wanting the Government to pay for their private home. Realistically a high % of people care nothing for RL and why should they pay for it, with so many other needs in these harder times. Realistically Souths should play 50% of games at Homebush and honour their agreement and 50% at Alliance to get it used and paid for. A city the size of Sydney doesn't need four international standard stadiums.

Satts1970

May 8, 2022
'It's indescribable' - Ball girl embraced by Latrell exposed to fan abuse: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...ell-exposed-to-fan-abuse-20220915-p5bi9l.html
When I was 7 my grandfather took me to a Parra/St George game, I was wearing my Souths jersey. A Parra supporter clipped my ear and his mate tried to take the jersey off, they were young blokes. My Pop, an old miner and boxer, laid them both out and the hill went silent and separated for him as he moved us to a different area. That was 50 years ago. People haven't improved.

Southy

WLF "Member of the Year" 2020
May 20, 2013
Daceyville
When I was 7 my grandfather took me to a Parra/St George game, I was wearing my Souths jersey. A Parra supporter clipped my ear and his mate tried to take the jersey off, they were young blokes. My Pop, an old miner and boxer, laid them both out and the hill went silent and separated for him as he moved us to a different area. That was 50 years ago. People haven't improved.
Good story and good on your pop. ;)

Reactions: stanleyg

stanleyg

WLF "Member of the Year" 2022
Apr 17, 2013
Good story and good on your pop. ;)
reminiscent of a former CEO at the sharks ( who went to manly ) and father of Eleanor Gow who cut up a young mans St George Jersey only to be reprimanded by Graeme Bowen. then vilified in the media.

callmack1

Knowledgeable Member
Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
Reactions: Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019/20/21/22
Staff member
Feb 6, 2018

callmack1

Knowledgeable Member
Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
Footy show mocked cult hero Mario Fenech when it knew he was sick: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/cb8e4e2526230061c553cadb7ee7a6a7

Players union calls for overhaul of concussion rules after NRL Finals farce: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pl...s-after-nrl-finals-farce-20220917-p5bius.html

These two articles are also from the Sydney Morning Herald,

Mitchell moolah too good to be true

Souths officials are chuckling at reports that Latrell Mitchell is so marketable that he is now a $2 million-a-year player – not because they don’t think he is worth big money, but because a year ago the same media group, News Corp, was calling Mitchell all sorts of things after his tackle ended Joey Manu’s season.

And anyone who dared challenge the view that Mitchell was a thug – as this column did – was dismissed as someone who was just buttering up Mitchell to get an interview. We were not allowed to have an opinion.

The attacks were hard to read, but not as hard to fathom as the revelation, to News Corp types, that he is the game’s most marketable player.
Souths know who is talking up Mitchell’s price and why it’s being done. And it’s not his agents. It’s designed to put pressure on South Sydney’s salary cap.

Mitchell is not motivated by money, and never has been. He will be well rewarded when he signs his next deal – he is off contract at the end of the 2023 season – but he is a person who craves respect rather than riches. He won’t be a player who breaks his club’s salary cap and forces others out.

Head-scratcher

NRL players’ ability to beat the concussion system and either get back early or disguise symptoms has been an issue this week.

Those questioning the system will have more ammunition when they learn players may never see the independent doctors in person. NRL stars can Zoom with the independent doctors making season- and career-defining decisions about concussions.

There has been widespread confusion about what players have to do to get back on the field, and that’s not surprising because it’s a complex area. The NRL strongly recommends that the “graduated return to sport” strategy should follow current best practice after the initial 24-48 hour rest period.
Once a player returns to their pre-concussion baseline they can then begin a graded return to sport program, which includes:

■daily activities that do not provoke symptoms;
■ light aerobic exercise – walking or stationary cycling at slow to medium pace. No resistance training;
■sport-specific exercise – running or skating drills. No head impact activities;
■non-contact training drills – harder training drills, e.g passing. May start progressive resistance training;
■full contact practice – following medical clearance, participate in normal training activities
■return to play/sport.
It would be typical to have 24 hours (or longer) for each step of the progression. If any symptoms worsen while exercising, the player has to go back to the previous step. When a player is considered for an accelerated return to sport in less than 11 days, additional expert clinical opinion should be used.

Reactions: Rabbits 21

Themacemaceman

Well Known Member
Nov 7, 2018
Footy show mocked cult hero Mario Fenech when it knew he was sick: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/cb8e4e2526230061c553cadb7ee7a6a7

Players union calls for overhaul of concussion rules after NRL Finals farce: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pl...s-after-nrl-finals-farce-20220917-p5bius.html

These two articles are also from the Sydney Morning Herald,

Mitchell moolah too good to be true

Souths officials are chuckling at reports that Latrell Mitchell is so marketable that he is now a $2 million-a-year player – not because they don’t think he is worth big money, but because a year ago the same media group, News Corp, was calling Mitchell all sorts of things after his tackle ended Joey Manu’s season.

And anyone who dared challenge the view that Mitchell was a thug – as this column did – was dismissed as someone who was just buttering up Mitchell to get an interview. We were not allowed to have an opinion.

The attacks were hard to read, but not as hard to fathom as the revelation, to News Corp types, that he is the game’s most marketable player.
Souths know who is talking up Mitchell’s price and why it’s being done. And it’s not his agents. It’s designed to put pressure on South Sydney’s salary cap.

Mitchell is not motivated by money, and never has been. He will be well rewarded when he signs his next deal – he is off contract at the end of the 2023 season – but he is a person who craves respect rather than riches. He won’t be a player who breaks his club’s salary cap and forces others out.

Head-scratcher

NRL players’ ability to beat the concussion system and either get back early or disguise symptoms has been an issue this week.

Those questioning the system will have more ammunition when they learn players may never see the independent doctors in person. NRL stars can Zoom with the independent doctors making season- and career-defining decisions about concussions.

There has been widespread confusion about what players have to do to get back on the field, and that’s not surprising because it’s a complex area. The NRL strongly recommends that the “graduated return to sport” strategy should follow current best practice after the initial 24-48 hour rest period.
Once a player returns to their pre-concussion baseline they can then begin a graded return to sport program, which includes:

■daily activities that do not provoke symptoms;
■ light aerobic exercise – walking or stationary cycling at slow to medium pace. No resistance training;
■sport-specific exercise – running or skating drills. No head impact activities;
■non-contact training drills – harder training drills, e.g passing. May start progressive resistance training;
■full contact practice – following medical clearance, participate in normal training activities
■return to play/sport.
It would be typical to have 24 hours (or longer) for each step of the progression. If any symptoms worsen while exercising, the player has to go back to the previous step. When a player is considered for an accelerated return to sport in less than 11 days, additional expert clinical opinion should be used.
I’m just watching the story on Mario on channel 7 now.
Honestly I’m in tears. My favourite player. I still wear my no.12 smiths crisps jersey I I got for my 16th birthday occasionally.
I didn’t realise he was struggling that bad.

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019/20/21/22
Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
Rugged South Sydney centre Campbell Graham has played almost two entire finals games with a broken rib and will push through the pain barrier again on Saturday with his side 80 minutes from another decider.

While the Rabbitohs count the cost of their stirring semi-final win over the Sharks, the Herald has been told by sources familiar with the situation Graham’s mystery injury has proved why he’s considered so valuable to Jason Demetriou’s side.

The Gold Coast Titans take on the Sydney Roosters in Round 5 of the 2022 NRL Premiership.

The 23-year-old picked up the problem in the opening hit-up of the Rabbitohs’ wild elimination final win over bitter rivals the Roosters, when he burst out of the defensive line and braced for contact with Matt Lodge.

Graham then played the entire match against the Roosters, which featured a record seven sin-bins, unaware of the extent of the problem.

He wore a non-contact bib during the Rabbitohs’ captain’s run before their comfortable victory over the Sharks at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night, raising questions about the potential of an ongoing injury.

Demetriou would only reveal Graham needed a pain-killing injection before the Cronulla match, but the injury actually involved a rib fracture, which didn’t stop him from producing another outstanding display in which he produced two line-break assists and threw six offloads while running for 153 metres.

South Sydney centre Campbell Graham needed a pain-killing injection to play the Sharks.

South Sydney centre Campbell Graham needed a pain-killing injection to play the Sharks.CREDIT:GETTY

Graham is expected to line up at centre again in the grand final rematch, opposing Panthers young gun Izack Tago.

There was more concern for South Sydney over the fitness of Siliva Havili (calf), Alex Johnston (hip) and Jai Arrow (groin), who all suffered problems stemming from the Cronulla game.

Havili is considered the most unlikely for the showdown with the Panthers at Accor Stadium, putting more pressure on the middle forward rotation with prop Tom Burgess to serve the last of his two-match suspension for a high shot on James Tedesco in the win over the Roosters.

It will be the fifth straight year South Sydney have made the preliminary final.

“If that’s the case it’s just the next man-up mentality and that’s what we’ve had all year and we’ll keep that going,” South Sydney hooker Damien Cook said.

“It’s great for the club, the position we’re in. We’ve been really consistent over the last five years and have got our ourselves in a position to get to the grand final. I think we understand what it takes to get to them, and I think we understand what it takes to win a grand final now as well. [But we also] understand what it feels like to lose a prelim and a grand final. We’ve got to use that experience from the past.”

Cook will face State of Origin teammate and World Cup rival Api Koroisau in the grand final qualifier, with Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga to be a keen onlooker as he settles on his hooking options with Harry Grant and Ben Hunt watching on.

“There’s a big game in front of us [first],” Cook said. “The grand final is something we want here.

“Everyone wants to play World Cup, everyone wants to play representative footy … it’s the greatest honour in our game wearing that green and gold jersey. Let’s get the season done first and then go from there.”

Reactions: callmack1