Rugby League 2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019/20/21
Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
What's wrong with Damien Cook? He is the current Australian hooker and consistently South's most involved player, especially with Cody Walker checking out. He also seems a very decent bloke and leader. Sometimes he takes a wrong option but the only way to be perfect is to do nothing. I'd have made him club captain. I just don't get the hate around this guy, other teams will pick him up for two years with pleasure.

Cody Walker is an exceptional talent but he is a flat-track bully. He goes missing in big games and looks foolish with his carry-on. If I were an opposition player I'd run on chatting at Walker to set him off, ala Dallas Donnelly.

Ilias has shown some real talent and heart, but his kicking game is poor and his game management is non-existent, he has no bark, is overwhelmed being in the team. He has to start acting like he belongs there and barking at Walker, keeping Walker on the game plan and forgetting any slights, real or imagined. The defence is not being organised by the fullback or by one of the forwards, LM will really add something there as well as pushing Ilias. Plenty of really good players have had scratchy starts.
Nailed it mate great post.

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
Rumours Nathan Brown could come back to Souths. I’d take him would be a solid buy to bring him back to us. Would add some mongrel to our pack. Parra would likely chip in part of his salary too.

Reactions: callmack1

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
Cook would be a bigger mistake than Reynolds if it were to be made.

Cook is in the Top 10 best NRL players.

People have to realise if Cook was playing with Penrith or Melbourne, he’d be talked about the same way as Cleary, Papenhuyzen and co would be.

He is far from the reason we are where we are and he has been consistently strong even when the team hasn’t been.

He is tackling at 97.1% accuracy and averages the most tackles a game in the NRL, he beats out Isaah Yeo, Jake Trbojevic, Cameron Murray and the likes with that percentage (with the most average of tackles) - That is a stupid good statistic.

He averages the most metres for a hooker and has scored the most tries for a hooker this year also.

From QLD Rabbit off the Warren

callmack1

Knowledgeable Member
Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
Completely agree with what Benji is saying there. Cookie is an absolute MUST to extend for at least another year or two. Simply cannot let him go like we did with Reyno.

Really hope Cody pulls his finger out and and demands we re-sign him too!

On another note,

'No disrespect to Demetriou' - Bunnies in tug-of-war with Dolphins over Burgess: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/0c88a5ca511c8df1e02dd7ba5892d288

Satts1970

May 8, 2022
I have a feeling Cody Walker is going to the Dolphins. Bennett will be in his ear and it will be a final nice big payday. I'm a pretty much over CW, he constantly calls for respect, but shows no respect to his team mates especially the young half. HIs performances this year have been diabiolical. Part of the reason Ilias struggles is that his more experienced partner doesn't seem to care.

doyen

Well Done Member
Feb 6, 2018
If Cookie is in the top 10 NRL players then that is just further proof that RL?? is a shadow of its former self,IMO--as for him being much better at The Storm or The Panthers,well;he may be lucky to be in 1st grade at those two clubs--Korosai has just relegated him to the bench for SOO & Grant is the number one No.9 at present----I'd prefer Brandon Smith ahead of Cook too---when Cook stands up at finals I'll be convinced he is a good player---I'm still waiting !!

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
If Cookie is in the top 10 NRL players then that is just further proof that RL?? is a shadow of its former self,IMO--as for him being much better at The Storm or The Panthers,well;he may be lucky to be in 1st grade at those two clubs--Korosai has just relegated him to the bench for SOO & Grant is the number one No.9 at present----I'd prefer Brandon Smith ahead of Cook too---when Cook stands up at finals I'll be convinced he is a good player---I'm still waiting !!
Grant is off the bench for QLD isn’t he? So I wouldn’t say Cook is dropped mate.

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018

Tom Burgess is the first and last Burgess to reach 200 NRL appearances after being with the South Sydney Rabbitohs for almost a decade.

The hulking forward was the last Burgess to join Russell Crowe’s revolution in Sydney back in 2013, but Tom has become one of the most impressive overseas players to make it in the Australian competition.

And, despite having another year to run on his Souths deal, the 30-year-old confirmed his UK-based manager Chris Caisley is busy gauging potential interest in Tom from rival clubs.

“I still have another year to go, but it’s the business we’re in, you have to see what’s out there,” Burgess told the Sydney Morning Herald.

I don’t want to leave. But I know how it works. I’ve been lucky to be at Souths this long, my brothers didn’t get this far, and I’m thankful I’ve stayed on with Souths to get to 200 games, which is something I never thought I’d do.

Chris is looking after my best interests. He has to see what’s out there for me.

“I’m not too worried about how many more games I play. I want quality rather than quantity. Another grand final would be nice.”

Burgess also wants to make it to 300 NRL games – something which would truly etch his name into the record books.

“I’d love to get to 34 and re-assess. No Englishman has made 300 NRL games. I never limit myself. I feel good now. I want to keep going.”

Burgess is, of course, gunning for a spot in Shaun Wane’s England squad for the World Cup at the end of the year and is likely going to be a starting prop on home soil.

Reactions: callmack1