Rugby League 2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Southy

WLF "Member of the Year" 2020
May 20, 2013
Daceyville

Fox League (FOXNRL)

Souths finally come to the table with a two-year $1.4m offer - but Reynolds still knocked it back and will now go to market 👉 bit.ly/39PSGBQ https://t.co/QUdlNYi6gy

9:41 AM - 7 Apr 2021 90 7

Reactions: callmack1

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019/20
Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
Bennett today in his presser said if he was staying he’d wanna keep Reyno and that it’s very hard to find a halfback and develop them to Reyno’s level, along those lines.

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
Shouldn’t have extended Knight long term. I wouldn’t have given Jed or Sele 3 year deals either.

I’d have also sorted out looking after Reyno first as well before looking at Arrow.

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
Also looking ahead, is Cody gonna get the same deal as Adam (1 year) or are they gonna give him 2 years.

Either way they are facing a black eye. A one year deal means Cody will most likely be gone after next year, leaving us with very inexperienced players in the 2 most important positions, and Latrell might not wanna stay. If they give Cody a 2 year deal, they gonna get hammered for not having done the same with Adam.

The only soothing sweetner is a GF win this year. Ihope so, and it better happen because otherwise itaint gonna look pretty moving foward

Well said Botany Born and Bred off LU

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
That headline is very misleading.... “Souths offer two year deal but it was not enough” Its a one year deal and a further year option in the clubs favour. Not even in mutual favour 🤦‍♂️

Reynolds had to knock it back. Hold nothing against him for doing so. I also understand our clubs position too and are not angry at them either. I genuinely believe that the administration we have at the club is the best we have ever had with Solly at the helm. I believe they are going to do the best they can in a very difficult decision/situation.

I still think the best outcome for everyone is to offer the two year deal (a real two year deal). I’ve reiterated my opinion on that a few times now so won’t go into it again.

I just hope they sort it out soon one way or the other. If he’s going to another club sign a deal now for next year and beyond, if he’s staying sign a deal now. Cant wait for full focus back on our team shooting for 22 this season. Without Reynolds there, I just can’t see us winning the competition for the next few seasons at a minimum. We have gone all in if we let him go.

Well said C Morrison off the Pride

doyen

Well Known Member
Feb 6, 2018
I agree with Bobby he’s the heart and soul of Redfern move another player on, give him 2 years and make it happen!
Unfortunately this is what RL has become--it's a business;nothing else--it's hard to believe Sths are doing this to AR---bad reflection on the club,IMO!!!

Reactions: stanleyg

Steve0102

Jan 2, 2021
Maclean NSW
I know it's tough seeing Renno move on which seems likely now, I'm not crazy about the idea either. HOWEVER, if Souths offer Renno say 3 years you can bet the next-gen halves Taaffe, Ilias, Hawkins will likely get poached. Apparently Taaffe has already fielded a stack of offers. Even if Souths had a giant sombrero & could fit everyone under it, these next gen players are not going to hang around for 3 years playing reserve grade or off the bench in first grade. It's really tough to have to make these sorts of choices but the fact is hard decisions must be made if SSFC is to prosper long term IMO. I really don't understand why Renno doesn't back himself & take the 1 year + club option. What it tells me is that deep down he doesn't think he has 3-4 years left in him either despite what he's been saying to the media. The other thing he should consider is that if he leaves Souths on a sour note he may risk ongoing employment after he retires as I'm sure SSFC would keep him on the same way they did with Sam & Sutto (& GI). The way it looks to me now the best bright side we can hope for is that we can use some of his 2022 salary to maybe re-sign Su'A &/or Gagai & extend our rookie halves. It's not ideal but it's just the reality of having a salary cap & one that's actually enforced & scrutinised constantly.

stanleyg

Enthusiastic Member
Apr 17, 2013
I’m not too sure it will derail the season.
Reyno has everything to play for.
This could be his last year he is in a team that has a real chance to win a title (particularly if he goes to the Cowboys)
He won’t want to let his team mates down.
If his form drops......well there’s Benji.
Maybe that’s the real reason we signed Benji?
And if he gets dropped, well that’s going to affect his value and chance at a new deal.
As for the stuff about the club leaking info in regards to Reynos health to make him less attractive to others....I’m not buying that.
There would be plenty of people who have been at the club whether players or support staff who have moved onto other clubs and know where Reyno is health and Longevity wise.
It’s Ironic that the media is reporting this....and it’s the media devaluing him by publishing it.
Honestly I’m still on the fence with the whole situation. I can see both sides. I was hoping they could offer at least 2 years.
If we win this year and then have a few bad years.....I can live with that!
The transfer window has not closed yet and the Cows need a good half to guide the side :bag:

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018

Package deal: Jets want Bennett and Reynolds to head up Brisbane expansion team​

By Michael Chammas SMH​

April 8, 2021 — 3.50pm

The Brisbane Jets want Adam Reynolds to sign a one-year deal with South Sydney and potentially join Wayne Bennett as part of a package deal for the new Queensland franchise in 2023.

With Bennett in the box seat to land the head coaching gig for one of the three potential Queensland expansion bids - pending approval from the NRL in July - the door is now open for Reynolds to follow the seven-time premiership-winning coach north of the border.

Reynolds is refusing to sign a one-year extension at Souths and has decided to hit the open market for a long term deal, however Brisbane Jets general manager of football Scott Sattler said the Rabbitohs halfback would sit at the top of a list of recruitment targets if he was to willing to remain a free agent for 2023.

“He’d be a tremendous player to have in your system if you were starting a club up,” Sattler told the Herald on Thursday.

He has all the attributes that would be very attractive to a new team. He’s a great club man, a family man, plays with plenty of pride, turns four into six and you also get a second coach on the football field. He would be great, but at the moment with his contract situation and him wanting to look after his family with a long term deal, it’s not realistic. In the situation where it became realistic and you had a license, he would dominate the discussion at the recruitment table.

“Whether Wayne was the coach or not, he would be a large part of your discussion at the recruitment table. He would dominate a conversation if it became a realistic option. He still has a lot of footy left in him and also has a young family. I never want to disrespect the Rabbits. They deserve to take this process through to the nth degree with Adam. We’ll wait and see what happens.”

Reynolds’ other option, if he wanted the security of a long term deal, would be to sign a three-year deal with a team like the North Queensland Cowboys but insert a clause or player option that would allow him to negotiate with the prospective expansion team if they enter the competition in 2023.

Jets chief executive Nicholas Livermore hoped Reynolds would consider the future expansion team as he ponders his next career move. “I’d hope Adam Reynolds would be available and only signs a deal for 2022,” Livermore said. “You’d absolutely want anyone of his standard.”

Someone like Adam Reynolds is a proven game winner and big game performer. From a bid director’s perspective, we want to build the most successful team from day one, and if you have Adam Reynolds and Wayne Bennett you have winners and proven performers.

Any player of his calibre, if someone approached me we’d be encouraging them to sign a one year deal to leave themselves the option of joining a new franchise in 2023. It wouldn’t be the first time agents have lined up playing contracts to coincide with the start of a new TV rights deal.”

Livermore said he had little doubt that Bennett would be top of the queue when it comes to candidates to coach the new franchise team when an announcement on whether the NRL will expand is made as early as July.

“When it comes to Wayne, you just have to look at his record,” Livermore said. “Queensland wouldn’t have won the State of Origin series last year if he wasn’t coach. You’d be hard-pressed finding anyone to disagree.

I know the rapport he has with his players. If you signed Wayne Bennett as coach, players just want to play for him. Craig Bellamy has the same at the Storm - players just want to play under those guys. If and when we get the license, Wayne would be one of your top candidates.”

The NRL is waiting on a business analysis from senior strategic projects manager Lachlan Smith in the next month before making a final decision on whether to begin interviewing bid consortiums led by the Redcliffe Dolphins, Brisbane Firehawks and Jets.

It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023,” V’landys told the Herald in February. “From what I’ve seen and the presentations that have been given to me, they are well advanced. If I said 2022 they’d be ready. They’ve been doing work for years. There’s no reason why we can’t be up and running in 2023.”

The NRL wants to make sure the business case stacks up and ensure the venture is commercially justifiable. A lot also hinges on the broadcast partners. The NRL has also vowed to meet with all 16 NRL clubs to address their concerns before taking the next step.

A number of clubs, led by the Gold Coast Titans, have pulled together to hire a private consultancy group to determine the financial implications of a 17th team.

One of the reasons the NRL wants to expand is to increase dwindling junior participation numbers in Queensland, however the game’s leaders insist they won’t move ahead with plans unless it is a financial winner.

callmack1

Very Active Member
Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
Honestly feel like locking this thread on game days haha. We have a bloody game tonight in case you haven't noticed!! That should be the focus today. I'm ignoring all the Reynolds chat (and I hope the boys will do the same) and will catch up tomorrow. Today, the game against Brisbane is far more important!

The NRL Economist - Biggest and smallest clubs amid league's trimming-down trend: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-ec...er-trend/3b3c4444-cf7c-4bbe-b5cf-775087bf4239

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
The squad aren’t happy for Reyno Mark Levy spoke to a senior player today and they’re disgusted in Ello and Solly and this player and another will consider leaving if Reyno goes! Like Levy and Jim Wilson said it will tear our club apart!

I’ll get the audio for you later tonight after the game!

All the players love Reyno this senior player said and they’ll do anything for him

callmack1 callmack1

Rabbits 21

Staff member
Feb 6, 2018
New
@Jim Rockford you know how I feel mate. We are on our way in bad traffic and I can’t focus on the game I’m getting very emotional re Adam I have tears in my eyes.

Johns was just on Levy sports show saying give him 2 years. Roosters fans are messaging saying give him 2 years.

I will get you the audio tonight mate you’ll have to listen I know how much Adam means to you like me some others on here I don’t think get the connection I feel.

Levy was on fire and I couldn’t have put it any better myself.

Levy and his passionate plea brought tears to my eyes.

3rd most capped player tonight as well equal with Bobby and no talk from the club!

WAKE UP SOLLY ANE ELLO YOU GUTLESS :)S AND HAVE A HEART!!!

My Dad is thinking of going to our headquarters at end of year if Reyno is gone and cutting hismembership card out. Will say you spat Adam all against what we are about I can no longer givemoney but will still support Souths but Solly and Ello have ruined the fabric of our club and treatedour legend like a piece of shit!!!