Rugby League 2020 Rabbitohs Pre-Season

Rabbits 21

WLF "Member of the Year" 2019
Feb 6, 2018
Reactions: callmack1

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
Amone and the koala are beasts… leave me out of tackling them. Knight is looking good…He’s a big, fit looking SOB.

From Sideways off the Warren

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
AJ was at training today Sualli also was there. From what I’m engaging and the way he is handling himself around training it doesn’t seem AJ is going anywhere.

From Glenmore Rabbit off the Warren

@southsport Souths till I die Souths till I die callmack1 callmack1 @Themacemaceman

Some observations on watching training from before Xmas to today. Josh Cook, Taafe and Ilias incredibly impressive and confident for young guys, Cook blows my mind actually. Our future looks assured to though J.Cook might be hard to hold onto.

Nicholls is incredibly fit, so good in the beep tests for a prop, Gagai goes good in those runs too. Dillon and Sironen both look due for big years.

Have been impressed with Masters but looks suss under the high ball, as does Gebbie, I worry about Gebbie defensively in what I’ve seen… Paulo looks very sure under the high ball.

Mago tries his guts out but looks a little short of first grade quality, hope I’m wrong.

Really like the way Sam, GI and Sutton have blended into trainers, seemless.

Also from Jed

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
From Tass off the Warren

I went today as well and agree on most things others saw today.

I was not sure who one guy was in a white singlet on top of his Souths gear. I thought he moved well, was tall, big and strong. Gave some great passes leading to “Training tries” in their mock games. Also had a great step and skills. I asked around and was told it was Sua. Not sure why at first I did not recognise him maybe he had a different haircut, but he just seemed bigger than last year.

Also Gebbie near the end was behind a little in fitness on the 15 metre runs and turns. However when they huddled to get drinks I noticed not many talking to him. May mean nothing as a one off but I think the staff should encourage some of the players to give him a little bit of love as he would know no one unlike others who come to the club.

Did not seem like any rehab shirts were worn which is better than other years.

Overall we look good so it is up to Wayne to get them mentally right and we will smash most teams.

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
Rabbits 21 Rabbits 21 where’s that Sironen hype, you don’t seem as excited as I do?!
I’m waiting to see it before I get overly excited lol.

Training is different to a first grade game!

I have high hopes for Su’a and Siro but I don’t wanna get really excited yet in case one of them flops, then it’d hit me hard!

I need to see and hear more once trials begin!

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
When I see Su’a start to defend better with his tackle efficiency and defensive reads then I’ll get excited!

Souths till I die

Mar 20, 2018
Fair call look at all the hype on Allan, it looks now he could be heading to the titans now. However I compare Sironen to John Sutton in that he has some very nice ball skills and will not be afraid to give his outside centres early ball. Having Roberts and Burns receive early ball is crucial because they’re so quick.

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
Fair call look at all the hype on Allan, it looks now he could be heading to the titans now. However I compare Sironen to John Sutton in that he has some very nice ball skills and will not be afraid to give his outside centres early ball. Having Roberts and Burns receive early ball is crucial because they’re so quick.
Hopefully Su’a is working on ball playing too, I don’t see Lowe as a ball player.

I’m not bothered if Allan goes.

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
Yeah I went down and had a look today. Field session started at about 9am. A pretty big turnout today which was good to see.

They did some opposed drills among some firness/running drills. Some general observations:

• Keon Koloamatangi looked impressive in the opposed drills. Runs a great line and certainly takes some stopping with ball in hand. Looks to be training as an edge backrower rather than a middle forward and given the lack of depth in that position I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the top 17 sooner than later.
  • Latrell also looked pretty good with the ball, threw some nice passes out to his winger and looked dangerous trailing cookie through the middle of the ruck on some plays. However, fitness wise he is way behind the others and was coming last on a lot of the running drils. I suppose this is to be expected considering he has only been back into it for a couple of days.
  • I believe it was mentioned on here previously but Adam Doueihi did look a little somber and somewhat disconnected from the rest of the group. He was the first of the non-injured players to leave the training paddock and didn’t see him eating with the rest of the squad after the session. Could be some truth behind the rumours of his departure.
  • Overall execution in attack could have been better, particularly early in the session. I noticed a few passes missing the mark among some handling errors, however they improved as the session went on. There was some slick ball movement at times. Jimmy the jet looked dangerous.
  • Some good intent on the defensive side of things. Some good reads on the edges and the defensive side had the playmakers under pressure with some good line speed. Positive signs there.
  • No GI today, but great to see Sutto and Sammy involved in the session. Both were vocal at times and look to be enjoying their new roles.
From Glory22 off the Warren

callmack1 callmack1 @southsport Souths till I die Souths till I die @doyen @Themacemaceman

Doesn’t sound good re Douiehi.

I like the sound of the Koloa though!

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
AJ looked pretty relaxed and trained well. Didn’t seem like a guy who is on his way out the door.

I overheard another fan asking Dane Gagai if he was sticking around and he said yes and there was no way he was going anywhere. He said we’ve got a lethal backline we’re forming here and he’s excited to be a part of it.

Just following on from the above.

callmack1

Staff member
Feb 11, 2018
Taranaki, New Zealand
Looking good boys!!

Yeah I went down and had a look today. Field session started at about 9am. A pretty big turnout today which was good to see.

They did some opposed drills among some firness/running drills. Some general observations:

• Keon Koloamatangi looked impressive in the opposed drills. Runs a great line and certainly takes some stopping with ball in hand. Looks to be training as an edge backrower rather than a middle forward and given the lack of depth in that position I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the top 17 sooner than later.
  • Latrell also looked pretty good with the ball, threw some nice passes out to his winger and looked dangerous trailing cookie through the middle of the ruck on some plays. However, fitness wise he is way behind the others and was coming last on a lot of the running drils. I suppose this is to be expected considering he has only been back into it for a couple of days.
  • I believe it was mentioned on here previously but Adam Doueihi did look a little somber and somewhat disconnected from the rest of the group. He was the first of the non-injured players to leave the training paddock and didn’t see him eating with the rest of the squad after the session. Could be some truth behind the rumours of his departure.
  • Overall execution in attack could have been better, particularly early in the session. I noticed a few passes missing the mark among some handling errors, however they improved as the session went on. There was some slick ball movement at times. Jimmy the jet looked dangerous.
  • Some good intent on the defensive side of things. Some good reads on the edges and the defensive side had the playmakers under pressure with some good line speed. Positive signs there.
  • No GI today, but great to see Sutto and Sammy involved in the session. Both were vocal at times and look to be enjoying their new roles.
From Glory22 off the Warren

callmack1 callmack1 @southsport Souths till I die Souths till I die @doyen @Themacemaceman

Doesn’t sound good re Douiehi.

I like the sound of the Koloa though!
All sounds great apart from the bit about Doueihi!

Reactions: Rabbits 21

Redfern Express

Aug 4, 2018
I'm gonna say it again here. Our forwards are fine . If we get Arrow this year so be it but I wouldn't be losing sleep over it and I wouldn't be giving up talented players in exchange for him. I saw enough of our forwards and some of our backups last year apart from Dillon who I rate highly to suggest there will be quite a few making the transition to very talented first graders this year. I've played ,coached and followed the game long enough to have some idea of what I'm talking about I should hope and one of my mates keeps me updated on some of our junior talent. Most of these blokes have now had a season under probably the best coach in history so you'd expect they've learnt something along the way.

Reactions: doyen and callmack1

Rabbits 21

Feb 6, 2018
Think everyone was in attendance - no one missing from my count.

It’s pretty scary the unit that is Joseph Suaalii - if you didn’t know any better you’d already think he’s 20 odd.

Anyway general thoughts:

• Marsters, Suaalii, Hawkins all training in the rehab group. Did little on field and were off after about 30. Apparently Suaalii hurt his hammy last week. Cody trained normally but with rehab vest.
  • one of the new trainers is Irish and the kid in me found it entertaining hearing him barking drills
  • forward specific stuff I thought Knight and Kolomatangi were the standouts. Serious power and athleticism the both of them.
  • I thought Burns, Gagai and Goodwin led most of the backs stuff
  • Latrell way behind the pack as expected I guess but he’s got some serious work to do these next 2 months. I’d say he ran last on just about every drill.
  • Found it interesting the two under most media attention right now in AJ and Doueihi probably looked the most sluggish all in all and off body language wise.
Overall mostly a cardio based session so not much ball work or skill stuff. They all got a good flogging.

Interested to hear from those who’ve attended more regularly this how they found the talk/banter from the guys? Years gone past you felt like you were basically part of the team Sam/Sutto/GI were so vocal. Quiet as a mouse today and the loudest was probably GI in the huddles.

Thought Knight and Lowe were probably the most vocal otherwise. Someone like Patrick Mago was lengths behind in every drill looked like he was going to blow, Sam would’ve been the type to get along side him etc.
Little things like that.

Left after 1.5hr or so as the forwards were doing goal line defence and backs kick & catch

From Bully off the Warren