Rugby League 2013 - World Cup - Rugby League - Comments, Scores, News & Views.

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Well,yeah, but I can't help but think that by relying on Johnson to do all the kicking, NZ allowed the Aussies to rush him, and it worked well for them. When England played them, both Tomkins and Roby chipped in with the kicking to give them a few more options. And Tamou and Scott comfortably bossed their opposite numbers.

Northern_Union

Forum fool
Jul 15, 2012
Timaru
www.theNZwarriorsonline.com
As i said in the shout box it was the best i have ever seen an Australian side play and worst i have seen a Kiwis team play since 2007. I reckon the Poms would have given the aussies a better go than NZ.
One question i have been holding off on asking because i didn't want to appear a sore loser, and before i ask i have to say i think Silverwood was very good...infact overall i'd rate him a 7/10 for the final. But my question is were the Australians allowed to wrestle there way to victory?

S J

Staff member
Feb 2, 2013
Time Traveller
As i said in the shout box it was the best i have ever seen an Australian side play and worst i have seen a Kiwis team play since 2007. I reckon the Poms would have given the aussies a better go than NZ.
One question i have been holding off on asking because i didn't want to appear a sore loser, and before i ask i have to say i think Silverwood was very good...infact overall i'd rate him a 7/10 for the final. But my question is were the Australians allowed to wrestle there way to victory?
I thought it was pretty even - the NZers held us down in most tackles and tried to slow the play - they appeared "stuffed" by the second half because of the speed. The speed was awesome.

Also - the 10 looked bad at times - but consistent to both teams.

I thought NZ got a few lucky penalties - 2 high shots that looked innocuous. And, got away with a few.

But - all in all I felt the Ref was consistent and allowed both sides the same "leniency".

moto748

Sep 13, 2013
Yes, I agree too, but I watched the game on TV again last night, and I'm with SJ in that if anything, the Kiwis got a few favourable calls in my book. Thankfully there were no big refereeing controversies to blight the match.